Transitions

Here is the scenario.

You contact the tower of your destination to notify of your inbound. You are still 20 miles out or so. Tower tells you to continue inbound. Then another airport tower comes online, and you will enter their airspace as you descend and approach. So you ask to change frequency, so you can ask for a transition at the “in between” tower … but the destination tower tells you to stay on their frequency… but your getting warnings from the other tower… whats the correct protocol here?

4 Likes

Divert around other towers airspace

1 Like

You don’t need to request a transition unless you are under 5,000 feet. If you are under 5,000 feet, then, you probably should go around the airspace, if you are over 5,000 feet, you can fly over the airport without requesting a transition.

5 Likes

MsxSez: @hmkane… 5000 feet interesting number. Where is that Controled Airspace Area of Responsibility posted. Appears that a majority of IFATC’s are unaware this 5000’ flight level limit exists. I continually get controlled airspace guard messages when above 050 on GA/VFR cross countries. Pls pass the word.

@Rodney_Buckland… What is the Proper “Divert” Comm request/responce to ATC when your under positive control or advised to “remain on Freq”? Plus why should I go around and burn expensive AvGas or Jet-A and add miles & minutes to my filed flight plan because an ATC is unwilling to make an effort.

Just sayin (VFR Corridors come to mind for transitions & a Divert Request msg addition to the comm menu)

3 Likes

imageHere’s the diagram @Maxmustang

2 Likes

@hmkane… Noted, Never saw that! Where do I find the “IF Flight Academy” Vid’s? Thanks for the effort, Max

2 Likes

You can find the videos on the Infinite Flight Tutorials channel on YouTube; I’ll find the link

1 Like

https://m.youtube.com/user/infiniteflightapp

1 Like

@hmkane@BenTyson… Who da thunk it! I and a great number of my compatriots do not subscribe to IF UTube or Facebook. A Search of the Forum archive don’t list the “Academy” thus this data is not regularly available in the usually/normal sources. (Logically why would one search multiple sources in order to find let alone understand the rules and limitations of the game. Academy vids need to be duplicated and archive in the Forum Tutorials or as a seperate Forum catagory & on the IF main flight site. The archive & site are the major source of IF knowledge for all concerned.

(Thanks Ben for the link and education huss)

2 Likes

The videos are on the forum. They are posted as YouTube videos and then uploaded to forum and pinned.

I think you should do, the community on Facebook is near to 17,000 people, everything is on there and links to the YouTube tutorials always available

MaxSez: Thanks for the tip but I don’t do social media. It’s a dangerous place for profilers and cybercrime.

2 Likes

Well now I know. But it don’t solve the problem. I’m not the only member in the dark. Availability of the Academy Vid’s should be well advertised to the general community. life continues and I’ll cite this source the next time I Challange a transition ghost. Thanks all for the professional knowledge gained and you extra effort. Warm Regatds, Max

2 Likes

I was under 5000ft… so what then? apart from diverting my flight plan… basically in Chicago, coming in to O’Hare, then a local opened up as i was on approach… then what?.. Divert? Appreciate all the feedback, taken on board for future,I thank you for your responses!!!

If you are already on a frequency then you don’t. In that case you were on approach so you stay with him till he hands you off

1 Like

From an ATC Standpoint, they should first check your altitude. Since you’re under 5,000 ft, you’re now in question for them. Their next role is to check your flight plan and frequency. If you’re flying to an airport nearby in your flight plan, and you’re on a frequency to show it, then you should be good. If that’s all good, but you’re flying towards their airport (i.e. You’re on an ILS/GPS for their runway, and there’s no chance it’s the other airport’s ILS/GPS, then an on guard should be sent. If everything is okay, and the pilot’s not doing anything suspiscous, but the controller is still not feeling comfortable, they can contact the controller that’s in contact with the pilot and can communicate with him or her to make sure everything’s okay. Normally APP will avoid the other airports for you, based on how they set up their approach line. If you wish, you can contact that tower and request transition if you’re flying low enough for it, but never change frequency change without permission. If you want to go to that extent, you can request frequency change, but if the tower doesn’t get it, just stay on the frequency. The other tower sending you an on guard shouldn’t ghost you without contacting the first controller beforehand

3 Likes

I wasn’t ghosted or anything, and nothing of consequence happened. I just wanted to know what to do in future, i was sent an on guard by the local tower, whilst on frequency with O’Hare. Now i know. Thanks again for the clarifications!

1 Like

I think you posted a relevant question, thanks!

Sometimes you need to fly through an airspace below the 5000 on your way to you destination airport.

As mentioned, its the best option to avoid flying below 5000 feet through an airspace, if possible.
If not possible to avoid, then its important to have a flightplan, so that the ATC can see what you are trying to do.
If the Approach ATC is taking you away from your flightplan, across the airspace, the Tower ATC can see that you are tuned into Approach frequency, and are being directed. He should leave you alone.
On Advanced I would imagine that the Approach ATC communicates with the Tower ATC of the other airport to inform him that he needs to use a chunk of his airspace.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.