Transitions and Sequencing

Hey there!

I encounter some struggling questions about transitions and sequencing, will yo be able to answer it?

1 2 F22 are entering downwind at 2500ft and a Cessna 172 ask transition at 5 miles east, what would be the correct transition?

2 B-INARY is 10 miles out and inbound to land. With an aircraft in left downwind and another touching down, does B-INARY need a sequence?

Stay safe!

2 Likes
  1. It would be at or above 3500ft as the F22 flys 1000 ft and it is pattern alt. + 1000 for transition.

2. No as the aircraft on downwind would be number 2

I think you would need to re sequence the aircraft on downwind though.

If you have any questions @BinaryChess let me know

2 Likes

Yes he would, as 10NM is enough spacing for the aircraft on downwind to be number 1 and turn beofre the aircraft on final.

2 Likes

Not if they are number 1

1 Like

What do you mean @TimShan05

1 Like

For #1, is everyone requesting transition or are any of them inbound for landing?

1 Like

F22 are entering Downwind so they are landing, Cessna is requesting transition

1 Like

10 NM is enough spacing to let the aircraft on downwind turn before B-INARY

All aircraft need to be sequenced if they are not number 1.

4 Likes

If they are inbound for landing, you do not give them a transition. You give them a pattern entry and sequence.

2 Likes

I mean the transition for the cessna

1 Like

What if the aircraft is on early downwind?

1 Like

It didn’t say so I put them as #1.

1 Like

Well if it’s really early then yes the aircraft on final would be number 1, but if it’s say prallel to the runway threshold then you could sequence B-INARY behind the aircraft on downwind. So yes you’re correct, it depends where on downwind.

Your post clearly said they were number 2.

1 Like

So what are the final answer for both questions?

1 Like

Guys, you don’t have to make it confusing. If the traffic to follow is on left downwind and assuming no aircraft are in front of it, the inbound would be sequenced as number 2.

4 Likes

I said that the inbound aircraft wouldn’t need a sequence and I would put the aircraft on downwind as #2

1 Like

That’s incorrect. The person touching down is no longer number one so the person on downwind is now number one. The inbound should receive a sequence.

2 Likes

But you can resequence downwind as #2

1 Like

Diamond explained that in his post above. Usually there would be sufficient space to have him number 1.

1 Like

In all honesty it doesn’t really matter, as long as you either re-sequence the aircraft on downwind, or you sequence the aircraft on downwind.

2 Likes