Transition Altitude Question

Hello!

I just have a question about transition altitudes. So let’s says you’re controlling at an airport with low visibility currently and the low visibility are at 3,000 ft. So, my question is would you give the transition altitude lower than the low visibility at 3,000 ft, or at the normal 3,000 ft altitude.

Thanks,
Mason

1 Like

Transition Altitudes should always be AAL + 2500 rounded up to the nearest 500. In any case if there is low visibility, VFR shouldn’t even be allowed

2 Likes

I would let an IFATC officer answer that.

Yea but its not a pattern work it just the plane passing over.

Ok. But what if the visibility is at 4,000 ft?

Same rules apply for separation reasons.

1 Like

oh okay gotcha.

Transition altitudes are minimum altitudes. If I clear you to transition at or above 3000’ any altitude above that is fine

3 Likes

Ok got it!

1 Like

On another note, per the ATC Manual, “a transition for another aircraft must be given that still allows it to stay within the tower’s airspace (up to 5000ft) but also gives separation to those that are in the pattern” (3.4.4). So, feel free to give aircraft a transition anywhere within that window; between 2500ft and 5000ft AGL, rounded up.

1 Like

An aircraft transitioning is VFR. If there is fog that will interfere with their VFR flight it is the pilot in commands responsibility to see and avoid that to remain in VFR conditions. So the solution if you are cleared at or above 3000 is to clog above the fog so you have VFR conditions.

2 Likes

Ok got it! Thank you for your help everyone!

Don’t you still have to request a transition if IFR in IF?

Yes in IF but irl you’d get your IFR clearance which gives you permission I’m pretty sure.

lol forgot that was a thing

If you were IFR you’d be under radar control anyway.

1 Like