Training Server 1 (TS1) Suggestions

Sorry in advance for the long post, but after literally reading numerous back and forths about TS1 and how to make it better, I thought I would give my 2cents:

What if the developers and forum managers just had to do some reorganizing as opposed to writing new code to better the TS1 environment and in doing so, better the expert Server as well.

1st.) Create a new landing page for this forum. Doesn’t need to be super creative, a couple of pics, and 3 radio buttons:

1.) New Pilot Tutorials
 2.) New ATC Tutorials
 3.) Community Forum

Tailor the landing page(s) for newbies with the focus on getting their gameplay up to par so that the community continues to both grow and enjoy the simulator experience together, as this app is definitely and obviously geared towards. With a very easy to read format like this, the “check help pages” command might get a little better response in TS1 as well. The experienced forum members would only need to click maybe once or twice additionally to access the rest of the this great forum. (Small price to pay to better the community as a whole!)

2.) What if the game prompts for a “certificate number” before joining TS1 (basically like a password but could also be generic to prevent any additional workload on the developers)? The certificate number would be given at the end of the “new pilots” tutorials. The new pilots would still be able to fly whenever they want in the casual giving them the ability earn XP but subtly express the need to be trainined before joining the more serious players and ATC volunteers on TS1. While we’re at it, before having access and launching an ATC session, a “certificate number” can be requested in-game, which following the same line of thinking, would be issued after completing the tutorials on the ATC landing page.

3.) Make a separate landing page for the “basic” tutorials directed from the first landing page. This is the page that should offer the certificate number after completing the necessary trainings (one for pilots and another for ATC). Many have written great tutorials, but I suggest we promote the tutorials from Tyler and Mark with the accompanying YouTube videos attached for the new pilots and new controllers. (This also will help recruiters of ATC as they are ‘somewhat’ assured the candidate has basic knowledge before taking them on.)

No need to write or rewrite code, just make it impossibly easy for newbies to the game (and also newbies to forums) to first LEARN how to experience the full dynamics of this awesome game (simulator lol). I think it’s kinda asking a lot for brand new players to hop on this forum and start searching through the loads of different tutorials.

This would also encourage the casual and newer players to dive deeper into this simulator, thus encouraging them to spend more money on it. This to me seems to be the easiest win-win-win (developers - forum members- green pilots). One little hurdle before joining TS1 for newbies, one tiny additional step for the more experienced community memebers on accessing the forums, and really only have to create at most 3 easy to follow landing pages and whatever else it takes to require a password (I know, frowned upon word) or Training Certificates within the app.

BOOM! Problem solved 👊🏾 (In theory). Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place!

12 Likes

My suggestion is to not fix what isn’t broken.

#micdrop

5 Likes

Have you tried learning to control in TS1? Without doing a million touch and gos everyone is stuck there for weeks! Months even!

3 Likes

I’ve learned that if you go on TS1, you simply don’t go to SoCal. Go to any other region, and the training is fairly simple. If you try flying in SoCal, you’re just asking for trouble and problems. Its the sad truth.

16 Likes

You’re 100% right! I’ve seen a lot of comments about lack of training and interfering with the simulation aspect of things all while experiencing frustration while stuck on TS1. I personally like a lot of traffic, just want to see players progressing and not trolling the training server.

1 Like

One thing to know: don’t go on SoCal or San Francisco

2 Likes

San frasisco isn’t bad either.

1 Like

Everytime I try to control SF, there’s always ALWAYS people that just take off from taxiways. Its probably worse that KLAX.(my opinion)

2 Likes

Great well put together post.

Whilst I think that the certificate numbers for access to the servers is a nice idea, but not really easy to implement, however on the other hand the simple re-organisation of the ‘landing page’ would make it easier for newbies to find the right info. No good telling people to use forum help pages if they are not available.

Saying that should there be a way for high XP pilots on TS1 to issue a ’ Cgeck Help Pages’ message that can be sent to a obversly new ATC?

2 Likes

I agree with you here. Messy environment in soCal is a huge disaster/chaos. It’s training server and people are training not trolling. Trolling is for what you do on Casual or solo. Training server: Don’t know how to fly a plane or crashing on landing is okay. Your basically training, but crashing your plane to the airport on purpose is NOT okay and with trolling and ruining flight to others. Spamming frequency is okay to some who don’t know how to interact with ATC. Also for devs, also show the tutorials more clearly or add some landing tutorials in the app. Usually not just in other websites because it might be more complicated for others to find. Some of you might not agree about training server, but read the discription. “Willing to training and being a pilot” Not trolling and doing aerobatics just to ruin it for others. And for your answer @CaptainPlanet, you can simply to to another region and fly with others with less chaotic situations. Or also on a empty region on casual but not San frasisco. But also guess what, you can also to to Expert server to fly with realism. Expert server is a server that strictly probitits trolling, chaos, or pilots just chose to fly 500mph in the vicinity of a active airport. But you very easily get to 40,000 xp get get to that server so you won’t worry about Training server anymore. By the way, I completely agree with your suggestions here :) Learing tutorials in the game is a important part.

3 Likes

Training server 1?

2 Likes

Yes! In training server
Expert? Definitely not! 500% better

1 Like

It’s probably a habit of san frasisco in casual.

2 Likes

I controlled on playground for about a year. No tutorials where provided at the time, the expert server had little to zero access for anyone other then the people that where already there. The only thing you should be trying to learn on TS1 now to control is where the commands are. You now have tutorials a recruitment process to gain entrance into IFATC. A scout team devoted to helping you train. So what I want to see is everyone stop complaining because it’s half as bad as it used to be.

3 Likes
1 Like

I think what your looking for exists already within the app. If you hit the question mark near the settings button, then at the bottom, it has a button for “support forum”.

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying but it’s been stated over, and over. No requirements are going to be placed on the TS servers. That’s not where FDS is focused. TS does the job as intended you can get a feel for the interaction and commands to move forward. Implementing something on TS1 won’t change anything, do you have any idea how many trolls we still deal with on the expert server? If they want to troll they will no matter what you do.

3 Likes

You have a point and I agree with you. Perhaps, the paradigm remains: trained controllers cannot control on TS1, the environment is uncontrolled by nature but it’s the only environment that pilots have for “training”. Then they get to grade 3 and move to the expert server and we expect them to know how to interact with ATC… that just doesn’t work. I don’t know what the answer for this is, but there has to be a way of proper training pilots before they get to expert.

2 Likes

If you are grade 3 and above you shouldn’t need a test

1 Like

lololol :)) well guess you have seen a different bunch to G3/G4 and G5 then I have! Sometimes they behave the worse. Especially when switch from having ATC to going back to Unicom.

I agree that they SHOULDNT need a test, but sadly a few (and not all) do.

2 Likes