Training before using online?

Just did 2 hours of act at KNUC. A bit chaotic as some grade 1’s coming in at up to 340 knots… also was surprised that about 5 people had no idea what line up and wait meant. This made me think… should you have to go through all the commands and their meanings before being aloud to use live? Maybe also a little quiz?

7 Likes

It’s a good thought that is hopefully well received and reviewed by the community and FDS.

I feel like this is a good idea, but would be hard to implement. People could pretty easily cheat, and then bypass it, just to continue doing what they’re doing.

I know that controlling on the training server can be really annoying, especially when it’s crowded, as I had the same problem before. However, if you meet all the requirements, you could consider joining the IFATC team. It’s a great opportunity for all ATC enthusiastic! You’ll be able to report pilots who aren’t complying with your instructions, which is pretty useful feature. If you still need some training, don’t hesitate to contact any of the scouters, which will make sure you’re 100% ready for the tests. :)

Regarding your suggestion, I think it wouldn’t help a lot as people would still be able to cheat somehow and continue to ruin the experience. It would be complicated to integrate and may discourage some pilots. Don’t forget that the training server is made to learn, independently if you’re a pilot or an ATC.

2 Likes

This discussion has been going on since the dawn of time and the dinosaurs ruled the earth (well almost anyway).

The general consensus is that it would be ideal to have to past a small test before you could access either the training and a slightly more advanced one before going on the Expert server (the number who don’t know what Line up and wait on the advanced server is surprising and worrying!).

However the Devs have said that they don’t have the ability to implement it, well for the time being anyway!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.