Training ATC advice: KPSP

This is just a constructive piece of advice to learning controllers. Please keep an eye on your runways, especially now since the active weather update has taken effect. There was a tail wind that closed RWY 31 at Palm Springs. I’m not here to out specific controllers because this was on TS1, they’re here to learn just as much as anyone. I only decided to post this because the approach AND tower controllers were vectoring me to a closed runway while they were sending traffic out on the opposing runway at the same time. Not safe guys :-). Anyways, keep up the practice. Hopefully you’re forum members and you actually read this.

1 Like

Sometimes the weather updates for some pilots and controllers but doesn’t change until later on for some other pilots and controllers. Might of been what happens. Never know, It’s TS1

3 Likes

We don’t really consider runways closed, just unfavorable. What was the wind speed and direction?

6 Likes

I’ll send you the screen shots PM

1 Like

I experienced this as well, however for me was the opposite, approach vectored me to the correct runway, but tower was having aircraft take off from the opposite runway. Tower cleared me to land and another aircraft on the opposite end of runway for take off. Approach and tower werent working well together.

1 Like

Everyone’s learning together, lol. I got to practice my go around, too bad there isn’t a simulated TOGA switch right?

1 Like

Hi man, I dont Know The knots of the tailwind… But pls remember, red runways are NOT closed.
We, as IFATC’s use also red runways…
For examples we will take EHAM, the wind comes from north (HDG360) this means the RUnways 18R/L/C are green. If we have ground, tower approach and maybe center open, and all work together to bring the inbounds on a perfect line to the 18’s runways…
And NOW, the wind changes to HDG 180 with 4kn, yes, the 18’s are red now and the 36 green, but we mustn’t change because the wind is easy to handle…
But now in this example the wind changes to 180 degrees with 30kn. But the center, approach and tower controller must speak together, the app controller must change the planes to the other runways etc… I hope you understand this and i Can help you 😉

Here is one Topic i have found for you:

Thanks man! I’ve been reading a lot of similar tips from all of IFATC and it’s all been very helpful.

1 Like

I would like it if you could go into a separate screen and see what the tower/approach is using for takeoff/landing. It would help Ground dispatch aircraft to the proper runway. It would also be nice if you (ATC) could communicate between the other frequencies to coordinate better.

IFATC has a slack channel which allows us to talk to each other, which is part of the reason why coordination between controllers during your flights is so smooth. For everyone else, there is not much you can do.

2 Likes

I never knew that! That’s a huge advantage on your end. As far as @Nick_Callum 's suggestion I completely agree as well. It would be efficient in the airport info screen for the controller to be able to highlight an active runway.

1 Like

You should contact a scout and begin training @Flightfan84 it would be an honor seeing you control for us! Then you could use the need for realism in this expressive outlet :)

1 Like

Thank you! That’s one heck of a compliment. I do look forward to joining IFATC one day and hopefully doing well at it. How much TS1 & 2 time would you suggest before contacting a scout?

1 Like

Oh I would suggest whatever amount of time it takes for you to get absolutely familiar with all of the menu functions. Make sure you understand what each command means. Do you know what a back taxi is? Do you know patterns inside and out? Do you know how to sequence properly? Do you know what to do if an aircraft is landing and a second is hot on its tail? Do you know when and how to apply go arounds? Do you understand the sever news of ghosting and reporting?

These are just some of the very few questions I had to think about as I was getting ready to control. Dude I am serious pm me if you want help or inside info about functions from an IFATC ;)
I seriously think you would make a good controller. Just answer the questions I said and just keep controlling till you feel solid in every single accept. Pm me sir if you want more

What is your User name when you control ? I will come looking for you later tonight or tomorrow. Or just let me know when your controlling . // Recruiter

2 Likes

And @anon66442947 here is a recruiter for the IFATC he actually brought me in. So keep in touch with him my friend

I have a brief history with @anon66442947 as of late. I can’t say enough how smooth that approach op was. I’m not sure what my control username is, probably Flightfan84 if it’s the same as my pilot username. I probably won’t control again until tomorrow. @SkyHighGuys I can answer most of those questions! Hopefully correctly. I’ll send you the answers PM and we can see.

2 Likes

I look forward to it! You will do splendid! :)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.