Tower instructs go around below “minimums”

Hi IFATC. great group.

Just a quick question on procedure. I was below minimums tonight 28R SFO, Delta 683, and was instructed to go around. I tried, climbed runway heading but messed up right traffic. Anyway, what’s the correct procedure if you are below minimums and instructed to go around? Real life there is no. chance for go around below minimums. Should I have just landed? If so, then what?

Thanks!

WrongWayRay

4 Likes

I believe that it doesn’t matter what altitude you’re at, if they call go around then you have to go around.

6 Likes

Right, that may be the IF expectation, but flight physics doesn’t allow.

10 Likes

it does not matter what altitude. When they call a go around you must go around

If you use full power (N1) you should be fine regardless of how low you are, because the IF physics are kind of OP.

1 Like

can you explain? Cause what I do is (including IRL) PPD
Pitch (increase to straight and level)
Power (full power but be aware to not go over 250
Drag reduce flaps

2 Likes

The only way to go around in real flight for this below minimums example is to touch and go and then go around. Don’t think that would be viewed favorably by IFATC. Hence the question.

2 Likes

Even in real life, this can be achieved, remember that time when an Air Canada almost landed on the taxiway at KSFO, it would have been below minimums what was fine.

2 Likes

Pilots go around below minimums in real aviation… sometimes things happen in that 300ft block that can’t be avoided without going around.

If ATC calls a go around, go around.

3 Likes

I was maybe 30 feet above landing threshold and almost in throttle retard. No way to not touch the runway in real flight. Not realistic to go around in this landing configuration with profile set.

1 Like

It’s realistic to push power and depart.

4 Likes

I think i was almost in the same situation about 10 minutes ago…i was at 100AGL when the controller changed…was already cleared to land by previous controller,
i landed and was ghosted for not going around…even though i wasnt instructed to. Not sure if you guys have ran into this…

You can absolutely go around below minimums. The whole purpose of the minimum altitude (200’ above TDZE) is to make sure you are visual with the runway, and if not, go around. Even if you are below minimums, you can absolutely go around.
There could be traffic on the runway, you could float 3000’ beyond the threshold, etc.

For example, I’d recommend;

Level off
Set full TOGA thrust
Retract flaps to 15 degrees on most Boeing aircraft or 2 on Airbus aircraft
At positive climb, put gear up
Climb out quickly.

1 Like

In IF it’s possible, sure. What I’m asking I guess, at 30 feet AGL and about to retard is whether a touch N go is acceptable or just gun it (totally unrealistically) and go around.

Gun it and go around - If they say go around you go around.

Okey Dokey.

i cant speak to this exact scenario - long story short the expectation would be to go around immediately.

However, I gotta point out that if you are situationaly aware, you’d be able to make the call for go-around before tower does. If there is traffic on the runway or an incursion, they will give you a go around.

Usually go arounds happen because the traffic is too close to aircraft ahead, and not allowing time to depart the runway (not saying thats the case here).

It’s all about awareness, on both sides of the controls.

I see you saying it’s totally unrealistic… check out this video from HD Melbourne Aviation:

Here’s another late go around, 50ft:

2 Likes

No traffic on the runway that I could see. No idea why I got GA. Not being critical of IFATC at all here, just wondering if the expectation is to go around on command, even if the flight physics would not allow it at 30 AGL. Not a problem. I can adjust my reality meter. 😄

1 Like

If you touch the round during the go around that’s not a touch and go. It’s still a go around. Just don’t rotate so squick that you get a tail strike
The pilot is allowed to go aroumd at any time before reversers are deployed, even after touch down. That will happen sometimes eg. bounced landing.
You are confusing the meaning of minimums actually. Minimums mean that you need to go around if the approach is unstable at that point. It does not mean you can’t go around after

4 Likes