Tow tug at Changi Airport catches fire while towing Singapore Airlines plane

SINGAPORE - A tow tug caught fire as it was pulling a Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-200(9V-SQK) to a departure gate at Singapore Changi Airport at around 4am on Wednesday (Nov 29).

There were no passengers on board the aircraft at the time, SIA’s spokesman told The Straits Times.

The Straits Times understands that the plane was being moved from a remote parking bay to Terminal 3 for a flight. It was crossing the bridge above Airport Boulevard Road when the tow tug caught fire.

IMG_20171129_104827

IMG_20171129_104838

Glad that there were no passengers at that time! The flight was orignally scheduled to Hongkong as SQ890
And later departed at 7.48am (changed aircraft)
with delay of 13 minutes.

17 Likes

Rip that airplane. What an unfortunate way to damage your aircraft

5 Likes

Very scary! Do you know if anyone was hurt in any way (Pilots, Tug Driver, etc)!??!

2 Likes

A member of the towing crew, who was in the cockpit at the time, was evacuated via an emergency slide.Fortunately!

1 Like

Just a delay of 13 minutes after a fire?

1 Like

Different aircraft im assuming?

2 Likes

Yeah, they changed the aircraft according to the news.

5 Likes

Looks like they had a fiery time! 🔥
Sorry I’ll be quiet now…

7 Likes

Eh old plane. I say scrap it but that’s just me…

2 Likes

777 has enough hull losses thank you. It isn’t that damaged, Qantas 1 was repaired after it crashed so why not a 777 that just needs a paint job

1 Like

I just don’t think it’s worth it. Replace it with a 777-300ER.

I say again Qantas 1 was repaired after it crashed, so why not do a quick 1 week fix up

1 Like

Sooo repair it then sell it again.

The plane just needs a very quick repair then continue using it till it is ready for retirement.
Malaysia airlines has done enough damage to the 777

4 Likes

15 year old plane. Its time is almost up. I smell a new 787-10 in the air…

I smell a fully functional aircraft with 10 years left of service.

9 Likes

That is not nearly as efficient as a 787-10. The 777-200 is no match

The question is: Is the airport going to have to pay for the equipment not being kept repaired or something?

Will you folks take your 777 vs 787-10 wibbly wobby discussion to a PM before the thread runs its course? Thank you :)

2 Likes

Already has good Sir :)

2 Likes