Welcome to @Tommy_Richey’s ATC Thread

Airport: N/A

Frequencies: N/A

Server: N/A

Time: N/A

2 Likes

I will stop by in a second!

1 Like

Awesome! I’ll see you when you get here!

Feedback OK-LOL

Overall, great work! You showed that you have solid knowledge about controlling local frequencies.

Here are some aspects you could improve:

• At [00:38:04z], the pattern entry for my runway change to 28R should have been enter left downwind, not left base. Remember that you should issue the pattern leg that the aircraft is currently flying on and not the next pattern leg.

The same thing applies to my second runway change to 28L.

• Then at [00:42:22z] The descend to pattern altitude instruction was not needed and it’s normally not the correct use for that instruction. Here are my three reasons.
  1. As a tower controller, it’s not all your responsibility to ensure aircraft main safe separation as they are expected to maintain safe VFR separation.

2. Also, F-COOP was climbing to transition altitude as fast as they could ensure safe VFR separation.

3. I was already at a pattern altitude (1600ft), which made the instruction unnecessary. That instruction should only be used when it’s clear that an aircraft is flying the pattern at a higher altitude than the pattern altitude.

That’s all for me. You did a fantastic job today!

1 Like

Hi Tommy! My callsign was F-COOP. You did a pretty solid job for your first time controlling on a tracking thread, so well done on that. I’ll leave some feedback from the session down below for you.

• During my last pattern, I’m not sure why I was cleared as number 1. I was behind National Guard and they were still pretty far away from crossing the threshold, so I should’ve been cleared as number 2.
  • Since I had reported full stop, rather than clearing me for the option, you should’ve cleared me to land. The only time you should clear for the option is if someone is in the pattern or if someone calls inbound for touch and go. Me calling full stop specifies that I will not be in the pattern, and since you cleared me after I reported full stop, I should’ve been cleared to land.

• The runway exit command was issued a slight bit early at 90 knots GS. Try to aim to issue the exit command at 70 knots GS.

Nice job and thanks for the service!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback. I just have one question regarding transitions. Was my transition of 3,000ft correct? The way I decided on that altitude by taking KPDX’s elevation and adding 2,500ft. And, in your opinion, if this was my practicality test would it be a pass or fail? I just want to get an idea of how much more practice I need before taking my practicality test retake.

Thank you so much for you time!

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Unfortunately, we didn’t meet the opportunity to test a few other elements like advanced sequencing with more aircraft, Upwind conflict, and a go-around test.

But based on what we have tested today it would definitely be a pass.

The transition was perfect at 3000ft!

1 Like

Ok, thank you for taking time out of your day to help me get better at this!

1 Like

Hello there!

Couldn’t pass up the opportunity to fly at PDX with some ATC services online!

For the record, I was the F/A-18 flying under the callsign of National Guard 15C

I think you did pretty good today (or tonight). I don’t have very many critisims, aside from the two listed below.

I’m pretty sure I saw F-COOP be told they were number 1 for the option when I was on final for the same runway. I shrugged it off hardly a moment later, but definitely was a confusing half a moment.

Also, I’d have to review the replay to make sure, but I feel like I was told to contact ground when I landed and was still speeding along at over 70kts on the runway.

2 Likes

Feedback from: General 575

Ground:

• Taxi to runway: ✅

• Taxi to parking: ✅

Tower:

• Takeoff / make ___ traffic: ✅

• Cleared for the option: ✅

• Sequencing: N/A

• Exit runway: ✅

Other Feedback

• Exit runway was a little late, I tried to come in fast so you’d issue it at the proper speed. Try to aim for 70kts when sending it
  • Landing clearance seemed a little late in my opinion which is why I sent the pattern message

Tag me next time you open

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! I didn’t realize my mistake on the clearance until it was too late. And regarding the exit runway message, I was told to send that at around 70kts. Does that vary aircraft to aircraft?

Thank you so much for your time!

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback!

I’m not an ATC expert, so the varying from aircraft to aircraft question is not one I’m qualified to answer

As for the first part, again I’d have to check the replay to be certain, but it seemed like I was fairly faster than 70kts when the command came in (but yes 70kts give or take a couple sounds about right)

2 Likes

Ok, thank you!

1 Like

@Butter575

1 Like

Feedback from: General 575

Ground:

• Taxi to runway: ✅

• Taxi to parking: ✅

Tower:

• Takeoff / make ___ traffic: ✅

• Cleared for the option: ✅

• Sequencing: N/A

• Exit runway: ✅

Other Feedback

• You cleared me twice, the second one wasn’t necessary when i said I was on full stop final, I just usually do that to let the controller know that I will be stopping
  • Exit runway was a little early, try to aim for 80-70kts to send it
1 Like

Got it. Thank you for stopping by!

1 Like

Hello, I’ll stop by in 10 min.

1 Like

FEEDBACK N757MX

• You can be a bit more proactive on the depatures. Instead of telling to Line Up, you can clear them to T/O straight away, as aircraft was in the pattern. For example, you instructed me to LUAW when Airbus was already rotating, so I could have gotten that Take Off immediatly.
  • [00:48:08] Watch out! I was sequenced as number two, but cleared as number one.
  • And great catch on the G/A.
  • Overall, good sequences and good job on the upwind conflict with Hog 1

What I can recommend:

• Work on the anticipation, especially on the depatures. If someone is rolling for T/0 at +100kts GS, and someone is holding short, you can clear the aircraft, it won’t affect on separation requirements!
  • Remember that there is an “extend upwind” command, you can use that in future upwind conflicts, and then use a pattern entry and sequence to lift it off. It will help you a lot when dealing with 7 aircraft on the test.

Good work today, it would be nice if you can get more traffic in the future. Thanks for the service!

1 Like