Tired of threads being closed

I understand the moderators do their job to keep the forums clean, I respect that.

However I’ve noticed recently that a lot of moderators will close a thread after someone replies with an answer, sometimes that answer isn’t sufficient or actually doesnt answer the question.

What if someone else had a question for the answer that was provided? They can’t ask because the thread got closed.

I also notice that threads/questions will get shutdown for being “duplicates” however when people link the older thread 99.9% of the time the old thread is closed because no one replied to it for 3 months.

I can understand why posts get deleted but I’m finding the whole automatic thread closing feature counter productive to what moderators are trying to achieve.

Breakdown:
Automatically threads will close within 3 months provided that no one replied

Cons: People with the same question looking to more answers cant ask without making a new thread, unfortunetly that thread will be closed because it’s a duplicate.

Pros: there are none, because people will continue to make duplicate threads because the thread they need is locked because of the automatic closing ( or a mod found it to be answered)

Disclaimer:
Not trying to bag on the mods- you guys rock for volunteering time to clean up the forums, however you’re working twice as much because of an automatic system.

36 Likes

@Carson thanks for putting this in Meta, forgot to set that up when making this thread.

2 Likes

I can sometimes agree with this. Sometimes not.
The biggest problem i think we encounter when it comes to old topics, is that some don’t know how to look at dates. And for that reason, they can post something completely irrelevant after a couple months.

On the other hand, i’ve seen an increase in people complaining about “Necroposting” even though that reply that was to considered being the “necropost” was a pretty useful and good response.

There are several sides to this, but i definitely think we can have a look at this.

25 Likes

In some cases I would agree with you but with things like feature requests or topics where you could just spend 2 mins google searching it is there really any point in there being a topic? Remember how many users are here aswell, if they didn’t close those sorts of topics things would get cluttered fast. I don’t like how topics get closed after 3 months after or what the issue is with necroposting as the topic is open still for a reason.

3 Likes

I hear where you are coming from. But if topics aren’t closed, then it could just turn into a giant mess. (I see both sides)

Regarding:

You could always PM that moderator who closed it and just give them a heads up that that isnt the answer to help you and they will work it out.

1 Like

My suggestion would be to remove the automatic closing of a thread after 3 months.

Close threads that are actual duplicates

1 Like

I would say to change the perception that necroposting is bad and increase the period before a topic gets closed to 6 months. That seems very fair in my opinion.

2 Likes

I always see people getting scolded for necroposting, but I don’t really understand it. What’s so bad about necroposting? It’s better than cluttering the forum with new topics just to ask one question.

Personally, I find nothing wrong with necroposting. Bringing up an old topic actually seems like a good idea. I usually look for the right topic to ask my question in but it’s usually too old so I refrain from doing so.

I whole heartedly agree with this post; leave topics open just in case someone later down the road has a similar question, and don’t close old topics for the sake of them being too “old.”

8 Likes

This is a relatively new thing. We used to only close topics if they got out of hand. I think it is beneficial to let topics die on its own. If there is no interest in a topic it will fall to the bottom, no moderation needed.

7 Likes

Almost like an ecosystem, would help Mod workload

3 Likes

The necroposting thing is so that we can recycle topics with new information. If you were to bring up a topic from over a year ago, a lot of the information would be irrelevant now. Creating a new topic is a good way to get new ideas and new people involved in an old subject.

3 Likes

But with an old topic, you can still reply to old ideas, expanding on them. For example, if a topic was made a year ago saying “Emirates will never buy the 787-10,” it would be more beneficial to reply to it today and refute the claim with evidence, rather than just creating another topic stating that Emirates is ordering the 787-10.

1 Like

If topics closed after 6 months then within that period necroposting would be in most cases fine, as Carson said if they aren’t closed then necroposting becomes a major issue

1 Like

I have pretty much stopped posting useful info here. Why? All to often the entry or thread I have regularly been editing becomes frozen/closed. I have found this a pointless mechanism do disseminate regular info.

Respectfully

17 Likes

This, I think, is the best course of action. I’m with the OP, a lot of the “solutions” I see that result in thread closure are grossly inadequate. There’s really no reason to instantly close the thread unless there’s an argument or it’s gone off the rails or something.

8 Likes

You know, I find necroposting to be perfectly fine. People do it because they don’t want to make a duplicate.

Here are the 2 options right now:

Make a new topic, and be yelled at for making a duplicate…

OR

Respond to an old topic and be yelled at for necroposting.

8 Likes

It is far from that black & white. But i doubt you see all of it.

And as i said, i don’t disagree with you. So i’m not quite sure what you want to say here.

4 Likes

Quick someone close the thread 😂

7 Likes

Just messing with you.

I think the best thing to do after a thread is closed due to it being a duplicate would be to do a quick little search in the search bar. You should always do research before simply posting a thread because a lot of the time, the answer is out there. Even if you don’t find the answer you’re looking for, but you searched through a few threads, you can always send those users a message and see if they know anything more.

Use your resources :)

1 Like

i see where you’re coming from but at the same time this is where pm’s come into play

1 Like