Tips on how to land a 747?

I’ve been playing this game for a month now, but i still fear flying an 747 and a380, because they are long haul planes that does not have APPR, can u better players tell me how to land one of them, how to hit a perfect landing, I usually fly to KLAX and EGLL, I usually enter glide slope at 3100, but descending onto the runway is what i struggle with those a380 and 747.

(i’m asking for help cuz i screwed a landing from Moscow to Los Angeles with the 747-400.)

1 Like

Flare early - around 50ft for a buttery landing since the 747 doesn’t have the ground effect yet.

3 Likes

Something I always forget is how high up the 747 cockpit is… It takes practice but judgement is key.

Cign :)

3 Likes

If the plane does not have appr
easy!, just do a visual approach, or a RNAV approach!

Come in at around 160, aim to touchdown at around 155, flare at around 50feet above the ground, watch the PAPI lights carefully. Also, if you set your NAV1 in to the ILS of the runway you are landing, you will see the glide slope (green diamond) on the side which will help you decide how to decsned

2 Likes

I just do a RNAV or V approach… but you guys can do what you want :)

1 Like

@FLIGHT2, I think they’re asking for help actually handling the aircraft, not necessarily what kind of approach to do.

1 Like

so i fly into the runway at 160 ft

1 Like

No the speed is 160

2 Likes

You always have to remember with the 747 family that the cockpit (your point of view) is much higher up on the plane compared to any other aircraft, so you have to account for that by flaring early and acting like you are landing high. The Boeing 747 is quite the plane.

1 Like

what should my descend rate when entering a glideslope at lets say, london heathrow, i usually enter the glideslope at 3100 ft

On final, -800 is normally the goal for your V/S. In your case, you also may want to slow to your short final speed a little earlier than normal to make sure the whole approach is stable. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks, but wont my nose be wayy to down

1 Like

Not necessarily… depending on the plane’s load you’ll be anywhere from 135-150 kts with full flaps(I think 30 degrees in the 747). If you find yourself pitched down too much, adjust your trim until it’s high enough that you’re pitched up around 2 or 3 degrees.

1 Like

This is also a very helpful post that still holds true even though it’s older:

-800 f/s won’t have your nose be below 5 degrees. Unless I am 100% confident in its intentions and abilities, I don’t trust computers to do stuff for me. You just need to get really comfortable with hand flying, the real form of flying. It helps a ton.

Be ready to compensate for any wind with your rudder since if there’s crosswind the 747s tend to dig their engines into the ground upon touchdown

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.