Tips for ultra long haul flight.

Hey, im planning to do a ultra long haul flight from vidp to ksfo…16 hours i guess. My device is a 2018 6th Gen. iPad…will it damage my ipad for flying so long or something like that ? Sorry for the weird question…its my first ultra long haul im planning to do…

3 Likes

Hmmm Use fpltoif.com to ultra long haul thanks

2 Likes

This might help

1 Like

Your ipad won’t be fried, but just make sure you ipad is sufficiently charged at takeoff, then around 10-12 hours in plug it in again.

2 Likes

Keep the brightness at at the absolute minimum, deactivate notifications (Do Not Disturb mode) and plug it in. You’ll be fine. 😊

5 Likes

Yeah do those and I would usually wait til my iPad is fully charged, start the flight, maybe plug it in for few hours, let it go and then everything will be fine. If you are doing a flight over night time (in real life) I would again wait til full charge, start flying but keep it charged for some time, remove the charger, sleep, wake up early (this would depend when your ETA is in local time) prepare for descent and landing, and then you are good

1 Like

Thank you all…

Trust me you wont damage the iPad. Ive done 20hrs on mine before. Just make sure volume and screen brightness is at lowest setting once at cruise. This allows a stable charge rate and make sure your device is plugged in. If you do that no risk to your iPad

2 Likes

Yup. Plug it in, turn down broghtness if needed. I have a IPad Mini 4 and I do 16 hour flights like twice a week. No biggie. I love long haul. I did sfo to vidp. Also vidp to sfo is only like 15 hrs

1 Like

Oh…im planning of flying

1 Like

Do i have to leave it full time charge ?

1 Like

Don’t do that, but charge it when you’ve flown for about 8-10 hours. This ensures the battery life will continue to last long over time.

1 Like

Yes, your device might overheat, so keep it in a well ventilated area, enjoy!

1 Like

What I normally do is that when I do a long haul flight, I normally do it at the night, when I am sleeping. Second of all, I put the phone on low brightness and do not disturb mode, I don’t put it on low battery mode, due to the fact that, with that mode, my phone will automatically close within seconds, if it doesn’t detect any touchscreen activity, other than that, your iPad should be fine.

3 Likes

I doubt that there will be any damage done to your device, I just keep the screen brightness low on my iPhone X when flying long haul to keep thermal temperatures low.

2 Likes

Besides everything else others have stated, may I ask why DEL-SFO will be 18 hours? It’s normally only around 15-15 1/2 hours :)

Also, if it hasn’t been mentioned before, turn on “Low Power Mode” in Settings to prevent heating :)

2 Likes

Fly on casual server so you don’t get violations if your autopilot disconnects by itself.

1 Like

I fly long hauls all the time and this is what I do.

1. Keep your iPad plugged in. Yes, keep it charged. I normally un plug the iPad about 1 hour until landing.
  2. Turn the brightness down. This helps you with two things. 1. Battery power. 2. It helps you sleep. Your going to want to sleep.
  3. Close all background apps so your device doesnt crash. (Trust me, I learned it the hard way.)

That’s normally all I do and I’ve done multiple 18+ hour flights and it’s worked. Safe travels :)

1 Like

I have done that before on the exact iPad type you have. Just keep it on low brightness. plug it into the charger and you’re good to go! :D

False the more you drain your battery the less long term battery life you will have. The more you charge to get back to 100% the less charge you will have available the next time due to electrolyte degradation. Modern systems have it where once you reach 100% charge you are essentially not using the battery as much as you are using electricity directly from the outlet at that point. This saves your battery for longer over time as long as the battery doesnt begin to overheat which is where ventilation comes into play.

1 Like