Tips for beginner pilot in infinite flight

Hello, I just started flying on infinite flight yesterday. I have no experience flying irl so I am not sure how I would go about dealing with stall and what causes it, I am also not sure on how to go about taking off without stalling as it is an issue that happens quite a lot for me, I don’t know what’s the cruising altitude as well. Any advice for a newbie like me would be helpful. Thanks and have a good 2021

13 Likes

The #ground-school category has all you need to improve your skills. They should be of great use 🙂

3 Likes

Thanks, you too!

Very good tip :)

7 Likes

Landing is the most difficult part, so use solo to practice it (would use “approach” not “short final”)

3 Likes

Welcome to the community!

A good place to start would be all the ground school tutorials in #ground-school - and also the flight training tutorials on YouTube right here

A stall is caused by the wing exceeding its critical angle of attack - that’s the angle between the relative wind (i.e. where you’re going…usually forward) versus where the wing is pointed. This disrupts the airflow over the wing, and it ceases to produce lift. In practice, you can think of it as the airplane losing forward airspeed, so it “falls” out of the sky like a stone. This usually happens if you point the nose up too steeply on takeoff.

A good way to counter this, is to gently tilt your device to raise the nose slowly on takeoff to about 10-20 degrees - not all of a sudden - and keep it there on the climb-out. Monitor your speed, and if you see your speed falling, gently pitch down just a little (but not so much as to descend). A good takeoff should see your airspeed increase slowly, little by little, on the climb-out.

Also don’t forget to retract the landing gear (if your aircraft has it) after takeoff, once you’ve established a climb.

Welcome to the community once again, do check out the ground school videos, practice flying on Solo mode or the Casual Server, and hope to see you flying like a champ soon!

3 Likes

One of the most important things for me is to always have elbow support (such as resting your hands on your table) so that your landings are not as wobbly.

2 Likes

I suggest you to read the user guide. It is quite useful.

1 Like

Thanks, I have trouble understanding what some of the terms actually mean

How will I know how many degrees I am tilting to? Is there something to look out for?

Usually between 10 and 20 degrees (the first two wide lines on the PFD [orange/blue display] or HUD)

Heavier aircraft usually require a lower degree to prevent stalling.

You can imagine a car without brake. (In the air)

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

4 Likes

The green wide lines?

Mhm, that too.

1 Like

You have your flaps, spoilers, and trim. Use those when landing and taking off. (Speed brakes only for landing). The HUD (heads up display) view is best for those times.

1 Like

Specifically for takeoff, here’s an excellent tutorial, on that same YouTube playlist I linked you to:

1 Like

What is the purpose of all 3? What is their main function?

Oh thanks, i was trying to do a flight just now but my autopilot kept making the plane go in circles for some reason and I crashed eventually

What are V speeds and rotation speeds? How do I calculate or find them?