Tips and Tricks for approach controller

Hello aviators,

Requesting experienced ATC controllers to share their tips for approach control. I am sure these essential tips would be beneficial for new aspiring ATC geeks.

Please πŸ™

1 Like

My tip would be consistency and timing. When radar controlling its import to make sure aircraft flows on downwind and other parts of your airspace/pattern are not getting too long. By giving effective and precise vectors you not only ensure adequate spacing but also help maintain separation between aircraft but also efficiency. Proper planning can also guide controllers with this!

Hope this helped :)

3 Likes

Monitor speed in order to assure separation at all times. This is my best advice. Even on the ES.

3 Likes

Yesss, speed is very important. If you have many people arriving on different STARs you can separate them with just speed, not any altitude or vectored needed.

3 Likes

The best tip I can give is use all the tools provided to you. On this app, there are so many great tools and commands that can be used to improve your workflow and efficiency while controlling. For example, when I first became an officer, I never used the time tool at all, but now I use it extremely often to enhance proactivity. It is probably one of my most used tools in the UI. Once you get to know the UI and its functionality, the quality and ease of controlling will increase dramatically.

Not even an IFATC controller but, try to give aircrafts clearance early for ILS, so they don’t overshoot the localiser. YSSY controllers in real life loves to turn aircrafts early.

Also Keep the intercepting angle at around 30 degrees.

1 Like

I am not an IFATC but having a plan would be very helpful. And above all else, you need to know your limits.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.