Thunder Over Louisville 2017

I know I made posts about it last year, and here it is again this year!

Thunder Over Louisville is the kickoff to the Kentucky Derby Festival (KDF), which leads to the Kentucky Derby, a famous horse race taking place at Louisville’s Churchill Downs. The Derby is the first in a series of three races, the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes. It is for thoroughbred race horses.

Now, back to Thunder Over Louisville. Thunder is an annual airshow followed by the largest firework show in North America. It’s held in Louisville, Kentucky over the Ohio River. This means spectators gather on both the Indiana and Kentucky sides of the river to watch. The airshow starts around 3PM and ends around 9PM. Acts range from general aviation, acrobatics, seaplanes, miltitary helicopters and planes, and even comerical flyovers (most notibly a UPS aircraft). Since it’s over a river, this opens unique opertunites and challenges. Downtown Louisville is on the Kentucky side of the river, meaning tall buildings are on that side. Bridges also cross the river, meaning planes can’t go too low. Advantages of having it over the river are the ability to have seaplanes land and depart from the Ohio River, aswell as watching from riverfront parks, restruants, and, for the lucky few, boats. General aviation aircraft depart from Bowman Field (KLOU) and military (as well as UPS) depart from Louisville International Airport (KSDF). This gives more space than most other airshows because the acts don’t all have to park at the same place.

This year is the 27th annual Thunder Over Louisville, with the first being in 1990. This year’s theme is “Thunder: Local and Original”. Below is the poster:

(Credit: @kyderbyfestival on Instagram)
So far an F35 (presumably F35A because I believe the USAF is providing it), B2 Stealth Bomber, F86, B25 Bomber, US Army Golden Knights, and a Twin Beech 18 are confirmed to be coming. UPS is also bringing a 757 for their flyover. Below are some pictures

(Credit to @kyderbyfestival on Instagram)

Thanks for reading (if you read the whole thing ;))!

(I’ll keep this page updated with new acts as they are announced)

12 Likes

Should be a decent show this year, will never be what it used to be though, it felt like everything in the Air Force and Navy fleet flew in that show. Last time i was there the German Tornado payed a visit at dusk and did a burner pass

3 Likes

I hope one day it can get back to what it used to be. The past few there’s been almost no military at all.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this, me and my buddy’s drive up from Tennessee every year for derby to see this, totally worth the 3hr drive to see Thunder Over Louisville, oh yeah can’t forget about Mid America truck show , I’ll be attending that as well 😂 I love Louisville
#4thStreetLive 👌

2 Likes

On the day of Derby there’s dozens (atleast 50) private jets parked on taxiways at SDF. You should check that out, too.

2 Likes

That sounds like a great idea actually, would be very interesting to run
some of the tailnumber’$👈 😂 It’s Dolla Dolla Bill$ during Derby 🐴=💸
👒👙 🍾 🍸 🍽 🛩
Thanks for the info 👌

2 Likes

Is there a website with more information?

1 Like

Here try this one , hope it helps http://thunderoverlouisville.org/

2 Likes

Thanks! This may be worth the drive from Columbus (Ohio not Indiana) to see.

Here is a “teaser” of what to expect if anyone is tossing around the idea https://vimeo.com/148656547

1 Like

Nice, I thought it was related to weather when I read thunder…

3 Likes

The fireworks show alone is worth the drive. If the weather is decent go! You won’t be sorry.

2 Likes

My view of Thunder from my apartment when I lived in Louisville. Great air shows and view back then.

6 Likes

Oh yes! You will not be sorry one bit! The fireworks are amazing and combined with the acts so far it’s goning to be great!

1 Like

Not far from the Yum! Center (unless you lived there before it was built)? I know you’re a big fan of UofL. Were you here for the good Thunders or the bad ones (Airshow)?

1 Like

Good ones. I lived at the Gault House. Yum was starting to be built when I was there.

1 Like

Fancey (in my book)! Southwest Airlines crews stay there and at The Brown. That’s where the Thunder command center or something is, right?

Correct, friend of mine has done the air show announcing for a few acts in the past and he always posted pics from the command center.

2 Likes

#Update:
UPS Announces They Are Bringing a 757 For A Flyover

1 Like

Maybe @B757fan will go there?just joking

1 Like