Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Edition- Facts and Questions

So interestingly I’ve just read one of the support documents for the Airbus TCA joystick.
The document is specific to the thrust reverser setting. See link below.
Can’t wait to land in KSFO in a couple hours and try that out. I’ll let you know if it works.

2 Likes

That’s one interesting thing (is the part after the dezent the thrust reverser in setting 2?), but the second interesting will be if the full throttle will work with IF when it’s released as it will feature the Airbus fixed setting points (TOGA, FLX, CLB, …), which IF currently doesn’t use.

Still really interested how this will work out, so please let me know later!

3 Likes

Yeah I do.

2 Likes

Did you have any issues when it comes to responsiveness between your actions on the joystick (pitch, roll) and the effect on the simulator @charrison?

2 Likes

no. I did have one issue on the yaw though. I will DM you. :)

2 Likes

Ok so as promised I played a bit more with the set up of the joystick. I can’t say it is super intuitive or easy and definitely requires some playing around a bit.

But once it’s all set up… what an amazing experience it is to feel your plane obeying perfectly well to your pitch and roll intentions.

I did change my computer and joystick to my 5G wifi network and while I’m not sure it had any effect, it sure did work well overall.

I had the sensitivity of all joysticks functions to low as well as the control sensitivity in the “general” menu.
It was super smooth and it really felt like flying… a real plane. I did my trials with an A350XWB in solo mode to not be bothered by flying errors, ATC or violations.

My adjustments in terms of bank angle, pitch and even rudder were perfect and I did a great buttery landing right after my first pattern at LFPG.

As instructed by the user guide, I activated the thrust reverser function and that worked perfectly well too.

Only not perfect aspect was that when I bring the throttle to the “0” threshold, it would not always bring itself to an actual 0% but sometimes struggle a little and keep itself to maybe 8%. I’m pretty sure it’s just a matter of getting use to handling that feature more appropriately though.

As a comparison: way more realistic and easier / nicer to handle than the HOTAS X - which I will probably return now that I know how good the Airbus joystick is.

If I have time I’ll try to make a video but quite frankly it won’t make the joystick any justice because the best way to enjoy it, is to get it.

What I may do if I have time is a little tutorial on the computer I use (MacBook Air) and the set up issues I had and how I overcame them.
Either way, feel free to DM me.

8 Likes

Wow it look like it does work!!!

2 Likes

i really want to try it out, but am hesitant to see if the other quadrant works with this as well

3 Likes

For the quadrant I guess we’ll find out in November ;)

3 Likes

Have you noticed a shear difference in responsibility of aircraft compared to you old stick? I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystic and I’m seriously thinking of getting this one… Does the conflict between roll and yaw movements minimized in this stick? Is it readily connected to Live Flight Connect?

2 Likes

Thankfully it will come in September

3 Likes

I was flying the HOTAS X which I received about a week prior to receiving the Airbus joystick and YES, A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E.L.Y !! No possible comparison.
The Airbus stick offers way more realism.

I fixed my issues by switching my connection from Mac to PC (my MacBook Air is old and in serious needs of updates and memory space).
It solved all my issues and now I constantly proceed with SID - often times until cruise - STAR and IAPs fully manually. It literally is a game changer.
On top of that the liveflight connect app on PC is where more detailed and professional.

I strongly recommend the Airbus joystick over any other. It gave me a boost in terms of excitement to fly in IF after 3 years of flying. It brings me a true feel for realism and aim at improving my actual flying skills vs tapping the AP or somewhat flying by tilting the iPad.

1 Like

For those who are interested, the below 2 links are the pages that I think describe the products with the most thorough details:

1 Like

Also wanted to share a picture of what your Flight Sim desk could look by the end of this year ;)

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed comprehensive answer… Have you faced any problems in set up? Sometimes Live Flight Connect is unstable and makes the stick suddenly unresponsive… Do the thrust quadrant, parking brake lever and engines’ switches work nornally with IF with all planes?

1 Like

That looks amazing! I am definitely hoping to use this with X-Plane if i get them. (Pls do not flag me for saying something about xplane lol)

What I love about the throttles, is that they are weighted. They do not feel like cheap plastic toys you will find in a grocery store. They feel legitimate.

Also, I love how you can separate each throttle quadrant. Meaning you can apply more thrust on one engine to make turn easier. (Wich if IF did, it would add so much more realism to the game.)

Thrust-master really does make amazing products for flight simulations. I also really would find it interesting if Honeycombe did something like that. Especially because everyone like their yoke that they made.

1 Like

Thanks so much for all the insights, great work!

1 Like

Unfortunately, when plugging the joystick into my Mac the computer does not recognize or list the device. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

1 Like

Did you download the LiveFlight connect App @Rocco?

Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Throttle Quadrant’s release date has been pushed back:

1 Like