Thrustmaster Boeing TCA yoke and throttle

Hi.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the new Boeing yoke and throttle quadrant from Thrustmaster works with Infinite Flight. I have been using the Thrustmaster T. Flight Hotas X earlier, but I’m wondering if anyone knows if this new one works.

Thanks.

1 Like

I can’t say specifically for this model, but in general the following rules apply:

Infinite Flight supports joysticks, but:

1. Android devices can use them normally if they can be plugged into the Android device
  2. I am pretty sure Cameron mentioned today, that iOS devices can’t use joysticks at the moment. This is because iOS natively doesn’t support the joysticks. Therefore normally a third-party program is needed in order to make this work. However, all of those programs have either been discontinued or are still being developed.

So: If you’re on Android you should be able to make it work (directly or with adapters), while it most likely won’t work with Apple devices. In general, it should also work, just like the old one, as long as no requirements or plug formats have been changed.

2 Likes

Thanks.

I’m using an Apple device and have used Liveflight connect previously with the Thrustmaster joystick. As you say, the program is discontinued, but still work. So it will be interesting to know if this one works too. I’m used to connecting a USB-A from the joystick to my PC, but I don’t think it will work if this new one comes with USB-C or some sort where you would have to use an adapter as well (to get it connected to the PC).

I don’t think adapters would change anything, as the “signal” is passed on normally. I would be more worried about a potential software error that could lead to problems and you wasting money on a pretty expensive joystick

1 Like

Yes I agree. It is a very nice tool though, which hopefully can be used at some point.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s true… I hope for some other developer to create something similar. We have seen a first demo version by another programmer, but we are yet to have a finished and polished substitute sadly

1 Like

Hello @Jonas_Sundt-Bjordal, how are you? Have good news. I have Ipad for 2018 and I fly with joystick thrumaster and throtle of another brand and it works in the two options below.

Map connect

This option is very good because I’m his tester and I can tell you that it works perfectly so far. In this link everything is explained how to make it work with your Iphone or Ipad.

IF Raspberry pi

This is the one I use at the moment. This one takes a bit of work to install, but it’s well worth it. Basically, in this case, you will have to buy a Raspberry, then configure the linux operating system or you will have it already installed. After installing you will have to follow the instructions on the link, but in case you purchase and have difficulty. It will be a pleasure to help you.

This is my setup

This is from another one that also has a IF Raspberry

Concluding your doubts if the new thrustmaster Boeing TCA works. I believe so. If it has usb input I believe so, but it’s not sure.
But if it’s only for IF you can look for other cheaper models that will work perfectly. Now if you want to buy this in objective for pc and test it on the IF, go ahead. (only share if it worked)
Last detail may be that one or two buttons don’t work in the IF, but the basics work perfectly. Anything we can talk more for more details if you wanted to delve into the subject. Hope this helped and sorry for any wrong words. I asked for some help on google 😁.

Stay safe😷🙃!!!

4 Likes

Thank you very much for a detailed explanation :) I think I will have to try both of these methods out.

Yes, I have seen that the new yoke has USB-A and USB-C in the other end. The same goes for the throttle that comes with it. So you have the option to plug either side into the hardware and the other to a PC/raspberry.

Take care :)

1 Like

It was a pleasure to help you. If you need anything, I’m at your disposal. If the topic closes, you can talk to me in PM.
Good weekend Jonas 🙂👋

2 Likes

I appreciate that 😊 Thank you very much. Have a great weekend 😀

1 Like

Testing the Boeing Yoke.

On iOS, using a Raspberry Pi with IFJoystickPI.

On Android, using a USB-C/HDMI hub.

The yoke is absolutely beautiful and feels great!
It’s huge though, so you really need room both on and in front of the desk it’s clamped onto.

When trying to map as many functions as possible from IF, I found some issues.

What I found so far:

Connecting it all:

Both the rudder pedals (sold separately) and the throttle quadrant can be connected to the yoke.
That leaves you with just one USB connector to connect all three devices at once.
That works fine with a PC or an XBOX, but not with a Pi or a hub.

When using a Raspberry Pi, all three devices need to be connected separately in order for them to be detected by IFJoystickPI and function correctly.

When using a USB-C/HDMI hub on Android, the yoke and throttle quadrant need to be connected separately and the rudder pedals need to be connected to one of the other two devices. Otherwise the pedals don’t work.

Mapping functions:

This device has two controls that make mapping functions to buttons very difficult and even impossible.

Yoke:

On the yoke, the gear lever is always “on” in the “Up” position.
Every time you try to map a function to a button, the gear hijacks what you are trying to map.
This issue is easily solved by putting the gear lever into the “Down” position.
After you do that, you can map functions to all buttons.
At least when the Throttle Quadrant hasn’t been connected yet, otherwise it’s impossible.
More about that below.

Throttle Quadrant:

This is another story though.
It has a three-way switch that is always “on”.

Every function you try to map is hijacked by whatever this switch is set to.
There doesn’t seem to be a way around it.
This makes mapping other buttons impossible.
This device can’t be connected when trying to map everything to the yoke, otherwise the selection switch will hijack everything.
The trick is to connect the quadrant AFTER mapping functions to the yoke is done.

On android I was able to map Reverse Thrust to the reverse thrust lever.
It seem that when you’re quick enough, mapping can be done.
It’s a bit hit or miss, but I’m still testing, so I might find that other buttons can be mapped as well.

So far the throttle is the only function on the throttle quadrant I’ve been able to map.
The levers for Spoilers and Flaps don’t work because these controls are buttons in IF instead of levers/sliders.

On the yoke I was able to map Roll, Pitch, Flaps, Trim, Autopilot, Brake, Next & Previous Camera and Reset Camera.

I’m still having issues getting the HAT-switch to move the camera correctly. Right now the axes are inverted.

Rudder Pedals:

I’ve also been able to map Yaw to the Rudder Pedals I ordered with the yoke.

The pedal brakes don’t work though.
I was able to map “Brake” to one of the pedals, but then the brakes are “on” when a pedal isn’t pressed and “off” when it is pressed.

To Be Continued…

That’s it so far.
I’m still trying things out.
I’ll update this post when I have more information.

UPDATE #1:

During more testing I’ve been running into more issue when the devices are
connected to a USB-C/HDMI hub on Android.

Somehow I keep loosing sound.

It turns out that when the yoke and throttle quadrant are connected separately, they are using the same button numbers, which makes mapping all the buttons impossible.

Still testing.

UPDATE #2:

After some more testing I found that when you set the three-way selector switch in between two selections, it goes off.

That means that when the devices are connected using a Raspberry Pi, all other buttons can be mapped!

That’s such good news!

I was able to map “Brake” to the left trigger of the yoke and “Parking Brake” to the right trigger.
Unfortunately that only worked the first time.
After I had tried to map “Brake” to the rudder pedals again, I wasn’t able to map it back to the left trigger of the yoke.

Still trying to figure out what on going on there.
I had to use “Parking Brake” instead of “Brake” as a workaround.

Using the Pi, I was able to map the following:

Yoke axes:

• Roll
  • Pitch

Yoke buttons from left to right:

• Parking Brake
  • Autopilot
  • Flaps Down/Up
  • Trim Up/Down
  • Camera Movement (still inverted)
  • Flight Path Vector
  • Camera Previous/Next
  • Zoon In/Out
  • Camera Reset
  • Landing Gear

Rudder Pedals:

• Yaw

Throttle Quadrant axes:

• Throttle

Throttle Quadrant buttons:

• Reverse Thrust
  • Spoilers Toggle
  • Pushback
  • Auto Start
  • Strobes
  • Landing Lights

Known Issues:

• HAT-switch is still reversed
  • Unable to map “Brake” again
  • “Landing Gear” is toggled by moving the lever up and down again

Still testing…

5 Likes

Thank you very much 😊

2 Likes

Yes thank you!!

1 Like

👍😁👏 very nice!
@Jan how did you do to mirror on your tv?

I’m using a USB-C/HDMI hub to connect my Android tablet to my 43 inch monitor.

1 Like

I was able to do some more testing and updated the post above accordingly.

1 Like