Throttle layout

Some of the more “serious” simmers here maybe know that in RL and in FSX the throttle should not be put over N1 100%, since when putting it there for too long the engine will overheat and suffer damage. When taking off the throttle is pushed forward to a preset position with the ascend thrust and later the AP will not go over this, unless you manually push the throttle forward by hand. I’d find it great if we’d get something like that in IF too, where the AP does only accelerate the throttle to under N1 100% and you also when you push the throttle forward until this point gets pinned there for ascent, unless you push it more forward again.

10 Likes

I try not to exceed 100%, but what does N1 actually mean and what’s the best % to use?

N1 is to do with the actual power of the engine. It’s how much it is working.

That’s actually a very good point.
I always ac- and decelerate manually cause what the IF Autothust does is pretty unrealistic.

1 Like

Why does it say power 100 percent then N1 104 percent what does it mean

N1 is the power of the spool the fan in the front, it gives Power in percentage rather then in RPM. N2 is the core compressor spool. The reason it goes over 100% is you can push it over nominal value in emergency. New engines have 2 compressors so can be N3 aswell.

Another problem I noticed with the 752, 763 and the 747 family is the throttle has to be set to only 82% to be 100% N1. And on the 777 it’s only 89% power, hopefully the A320 will be like other aircraft in IF and be able to have it at 95% power with 100% N1.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

It’s depends on so many factors, if you are taking off in higher ground the air is thin maybe you’ll need more power to get to 100% N1 and take temp into account aswell.

In simple term for ex. Engine capable of spinning 10000RPM in manufacturer recommendation and safe operating speed. Calculated as 100% N1. If It spins at 2000RPM it’s 20% N1. And end in emergency you can make it spin more then 10000 that’s when you see value more then 100% and some cases it might Spin slower then what you want because of the weather, altitude and weight…for human Brian easier to process 64% N1 then 6400RPM

The 100%n1 over heating fact is untrue. N1 describes the speed of the low pressure roter compared to the n2 rotor speed. The engine will not overheat. For example, the engine limits for a rolls Royce RB211-524G/H are:
N1:100.5% at 4 310rpm, N2 is 99.2% at 7,539rpm and N3 is 10,526rpm. In the history of this engine, it was ran at full power for 27 hours straight. And guess what, it didn’t overheat.

1 Like

I’ve never seen this idea anyway it would be great if you could set N1 .not to exceed 100%

1 Like