Thoughts on the Expert Server - What is currently going on, what needs to be done, and what is good.

Warning: Long post ahead, read at your own risk!

Ah, the Expert server. Where most of Grade 3s, Grade 4s, and Grade 5s go to escape the craziness of TS1, wether getting away from approach sending on-guard messages when you aren’t even in the air yet, or just trying to land at KNUC without a 777 overtaking you at 200 knots. The majority of of the flyers on the expert server know what they’re doing + respect the rules, however there are a few that treat it like TS1 v2. Fortunately most of the time, those people are then sent on their way with an all-inclusive 7 day vacation back to TS1! But lately, me and numerous other pilots have been noticing a change in the Expert Server. Although it’s been addressed in a few threads (mainly specific problems), I wanted to create a detailed thread explaining the problems as a whole and what can be done to address them. Read on if you dare…

1. Etiquette when ATC is not active. This is the biggest problem of them all. People just don’t seem to care, especially with reporting disabled. This is the expert server, if you can’t be trusted to follow the rules and be on your honor system then I’m sure TS1 would be more than happy to have you back. An example goes (true story): A week or so ago, I had to go-around at KSAN due to a plane on the runway which took rather long to begin it’s takeoff roll, there was no way I would be able to land without crashing on to it. Then, the ATC (I believe it was KingBlack) logged off, and I don’t blame him. It was pretty hectic. After going around, I noticed a good amount of spacing between me and an aircraft on an 8 mile final, the runway and surrounding taxiways were clear, so I decided to do a 2 mile final. I turned base and announced on unicom that I’m on the base. Then, as soon as I announced that I’m on final, some plane lines up on the runway and announces that they were taking off. Fortunately, they were out of there quickly, I landed just 3 seconds after they went airborne.
    There are many other scenarios, other pilots have experienced being overtaken on final, little to no spacing when ATC is not active, and many more stuff. The point I’m trying to get across is to PLEASE be on your honor system. Put yourselves in our shoes. It seems fun to you, but nobody likes it when someone comes and ruins their experience. Just act like @MishaCamp is there monitoring your every move (never mind, that’s a little scary tbh.)

2. Grading system. I feel that a bunch of those mishaps listed above could easily be prevented if we raised the amount of XP required to get into the expert server.
    Sometimes, I see people dileberately disobeying ATC instructions, I tap on their plane, and most of the time it’s a recently crowned Grade 3. Yes, I know there are some grade 4 and 5’s that act like that but a good amount are grade 3. My personal thoughts are that we should keep the requirement for grade 3 at 40,000 XP but raise the amount of XP required for the ES to 50,000, possibly even a little higher. Would you consider someone who has been working on a skill for 2-3 months an expert? Probably not.
    40,000 is way to easily achievable, I started Live in early November 2016 and got access to the expert server sometime in January. We could be able to weed out bad people, as 1 - it gives them more experience before coming to the server and 2 - it makes sure they’re dedicated to the game and will follow rules on the expert server.

3. Bans from the expert server. I’m not talking about your typical 7 day ghosting. I am introducing a new idea, that if someone is ghosted for 7 days, and then they come back and cause more trouble, their next ghost is for 14 days. After that, comes a permanent ban (which would be appeal-able.) That is what a permanent ban would be effective for, if someone is a constant abuser who has absolutely zero regard for the rules and keeps committing offenses over and over and over again. It would be like the way this forum works, when people act up they get a temp ban (unless it’s very severe then straight to permanent) and if they keep committing the offenses with no regard for the rules and don’t put any effort in to change then they get a permanent ban!
    If a person has shown that they’ve truly changed for the better and promises to commit to following the rules on the Expert Server, they would be allowed to appeal their ban. And you wouldn’t just be able to say “i promise i won’t do it again” and then get accepted. You’d have to wait a while and if you can prove that you have changed yourself for the better then the appeal would be considered.

One last thing, like @burovV mentioned, some grade 3’s come to the server and see some grade 4’s and 5’s acting badly, and they think that it’s ok to do so as well. Us grade 4’s and 5’s and better grade 3’s need to set the example for newer server members!

If you took the time to read this whole thing, thank you! I am open to feedback and discussion below, just respect everyone’s opinions.

45 Likes

I think there will always be pilots who can’t fly and that can be down to them failing to learn. These new changes though would again be obtainable to anyone making little sense in doing so

10 Likes

While you point out the problems I still see no solution to them. Increasing the XP only post pones them from entering, in a month we are right back where we are now.
Besides we all know xp doesn’t mean squat as far as ability.

25 Likes

I agree. The only thing that can stop it is having ghosts affect a users ability to go on the expert sever for longer but that still won’t necessarily help

2 Likes

I mean joshfly is a grade 5 and hasn’t had a landing under 32,000FPM in years…

In all seriousness xp counts for nothing

12 Likes

Well, maybe after someone gets ghosted for 7 days, comes back and gets ghosted again then they would be ghosted for a longer amt. of time (14 days), just something to consider

Yes but think about it… if they don’t do anything in that time like watch tutorials etc then they will still be making the same mistakes and potentially get ghosted once again

2 Likes

You have a point, but you never know, the longer someone wouldn’t have access to the expert server they could get better and more disciplined. It doesn’t have to be 50,000 XP, just a small idea the devs/moderators could do whatever the heck they want with it
Also, @Brandon_Sandstrom I added a bit to the post about possible permanent bans.

That is what a permanent ban (from the expert server) would be effective for, if someone is a constant abuser who has absolutely zero regard for the rules and keeps committing offenses over and over and over again.
It would be like the way this forum works, when people act up they get a temp ban (unless it’s very severe then straight to permanent) and if they keep committing the offenses with no regard for the rules and don’t put any effort in to change then they get a permanent ban!

1 Like

Thought the first bit was hilarious 😂

1 Like

People are paying for a product. That would not be beneficial in any way for the people who bought the app and it wouldn’t be good for any business to be doing that.

2 Likes

They would still have access to Live, there’s TS1 and Casual servers too.
And the permanent ban would be appeal-able. If someone has truly changed (for the better) and shows that they will commit to following the rules on the expert server then they would be allowed to appeal.

1 Like

Another problem is that some grade 3 come to advanced server and then see these “4” or “3”, who do not respect the rules. They think that it’s OK and start also doing this. Always remember, many people can watch you to gain experience

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right, us grade 4’s and 5’s need to set the example for the newer people.

1 Like

Something really needs to change. Yesterday I was on short final 28 for KTPA and a 748 crosssed the runway with no warning, then while I’m still on the runway he begins to take off and completely run me over. This person had 120,000XP and when ATC leaves he just goes crazy. I think IFATC should be able to ghost even when they aren’t controlling as @FlyFi watched the entire thing.

3 Likes

Then it isn’t a perma ban 😂

If their appeal gets denied then it is…
And you wouldn’t just be able to say “i promise i won’t do it again” and then get accepted. You’d have to wait a while and if you can prove that you have changed yourself for the better then the appeal would be considered.

Actually it is, for people, who do not work on their mistakes

1 Like

MaxSez: Original negative comment withdrawn after due consideration and PM regrets to @RTG113. Appears the originator hit a nerve and energized the base. Well Done!

5 Likes

I pointed out the flaws because it is there and if we ignore it it will just get worse. and a lot of people (not just me) have noticed it as well. I am not complaining, however I don’t like coming to the expert server to see this stuff going on. I offered ways on how to address these problems and possible fixes for them as well, that’s because I care about the community and want to help make it better. Let’s say you have a burnt out light bulb on your plane. Since you care about your plane you want to fix the problem before it gets worse, right? That’s like me. I care about the expert server and the community and I want to help make it better.
Someone who doesn’t care would come on and start yelling at everyone and saying how it’s a bad community, etc.

3 Likes