Thomas Cook Urges Tourists To Leave Gambia

The president of Gambia apparently lost the election and is refusing to step down, Thomas Cook are now trying to get as many British Tourists out of the country.

Article Below:

15 Likes

Interesting , i can see this getting nasty. Hoping for the best thou …

7 Likes

I was surprised to see this article in all honesty, never knew there was any problem

2 Likes

I was aware of this and have been following in it for quite sometime now …

2 Likes

Maybe you can help me understand this: why are they flying British people out just because the president won’t step down? Why do British tourists have to do with anything in that?

Dude, this is a situation where a coup attempt is likely.

9 Likes

It is your specific country duty to advise you of other countries issues that you may face when you are traveling/before you go , if you get stuck abroad your first port of call is your country embassy who will provide assistance to you depending what the matter is. It is easier for a country extract their citizens out from a specific country while they can with ease then to have to try get them out when the situation has worsened and now there is no way to get them out with will now take up more time,effort and money. When the situation is like this i doubt you are going to be able to just change your flight and leave the country as many airline will stop flights as the operational restrictions will cause too many issues and now you are stranded in Gambia with no way out and have to face a ton of issues on your own !

8 Likes

Oh ok that makes a lot of sense! thank you for helping me understand that! :)

2 Likes

Why would you go to Gambia in the first place?

7 Likes

Hey, great beaches down there!

3 Likes

Holiday , work , business and family ? I went there in 2009 mainly due to the fact my dad was doing a 2 month construction contract in the Banjul area , i went there to see him and to go on holiday and as @anon93676386 says they have some picture perfect beaches !

6 Likes

Why does he not want to surrender his power to the new President-elect? I hope Thomas cook can get them all out.

1 Like

If it’s anything like America…

1 Like

Thomas Cook, as in the airline?

1 Like

Except it’s not.

Wasn’t there something like this in someplace, maybe Turkey? Except it was a military coupe.

1 Like

Travel warnings as issued by the U.S. government.

The Gambia Travel Warning
The U.S. Department of State warns persons against travel to The Gambia because of the potential for civil unrest and violence in the near future.

On January 7, 2017, the Department of State ordered the departure of family members and authorized the departure of all employees who need to accompany those individuals from the country.

The security situation in The Gambia remains uncertain following December 1, 2016 presidential elections. On January 10, the Supreme Court is scheduled to hear the current president’s petition contesting the election results, which is a potential flashpoint that could lead to civil unrest. The sitting government has begun taking restrictive measures, which include shutting down and restricting radio stations, and making politically motivated arrests. The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has stated it may intervene if the president does not step down by January 18.

persons should consider departing on commercial flights and other transportation options now, as airports and ferry terminals may close unexpectedly in the event of unrest. All persons should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance. persons should ensure that travel documents (passports and visas) are valid and up-to-date. Consular services, already limited throughout the country due to very poor transportation infrastructure and security conditions, may be further limited, including in Banjul itself.

persons who decide to remain in The Gambia should prepare for the possible deterioration of security:

Exercise caution and remain abreast of the security situation.
Follow the instructions of local authorities.
Stay home or at another safe location.
Have emergency supplies of food, water, and medications.
Let friends and family know that there might be communication disruptions.
Additional recommendations on emergency preparedness are available on the Travel.State.gov web page “What Can You Do in a Crisis Abroad?”

For further information:

See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and The Gambia Country Specific Information.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
Contact the U.S. Embassy in Banjul, located 92 Kairaba Avenue, Fajara, Banjul, at +(220) 439-2856 is open Monday through Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. After hours emergency number for persons is +(220) 437-5270.
Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

1 Like

Why would Gambia be popular to fly to seems quieta od.

1 Like

As said above: beaches, beautiful scenery and other things such as business, family etc. That’s why people fly there…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.