Third party voice ATC idea....

Howdy Folks!
I was reading the warning about the zello server a few minutes ago and noticed a lot of people disliked the idea of having real “talking” ATC in the game. What if some handy dandy developer out there wanted to make an app or something, JUST for IF and allowed to ahve ATC on there. Very similar to zello, but it would be in a more controlled Infinite Flight environment. It could cater to the controllers needs, maybe like having the map with air traffic on it for the controllers…something like that. Just an idea I had. Maybe it could work in part with The current ATC guys, a new ATC test for “voice ATC” could be would all go down on the free flight. Or even a different server. Who knows? Just some ideas I had that I would throw out for some of you genius devs out there. Have fun! Be sure to leave all your complai-I MEAN suggestions in the comments! (Also not sure if this should go in features or developer…I’m not a developer lol…change it as needed.)

9 Likes

Very interesting idea. An official companion app would be cool and would eliminate the Zello troubles. However, this would probably be hard to program.

1 Like

Maybe @lollip or @carmalonso could think about this? This could be awesome, great idea :-)

2 Likes

I’m sure getting a server wouldn’t be cheap either…lol.

Maybe a spoken ATC server could be made for it

Somebody made a suggestion like this before (action in game voice ATC) and it got shot down pretty quick.

1 Like

I was thinking a long time ago typed messages or something like Siri but without responses? The ‘something like Siri’ could type messages out for you.

1 Like

Typed messages. Ew.
Jk :)
But I think it needs to be as realistic as possible.

1 Like

Yea, can’t handle 4 things at once

1 Like

Plus speaking things wouldn’t limit us to the current programmed terms and such.

2 Likes

But it could be the original ATC and ‘Siri’ with blocked out inappropriate words etc.

1 Like

If we had voice ATC, the wall of realism would plow right through me lol.

1 Like

I would like the program on PC/Mac, or have it work in the background on iOS/Android.

I honestly like this idea:)

Lol, we like the idea I think…now who is willing to code it and pay for the server? 😂😂
cough @carmalonso cough or Michael or Pierre. Fight for the rights.

2 Likes

Tyler brought it up in an Interview with the Journal. The language barrier and the bandwidth/servers required to make voice communication possible as of now is not in the plan of action. It may be in the future but as of now, its more than likely not happening anytime soon. Unless Matt and crew have other things planned.

1 Like

That’s why I am saying for it to be third party…

Communication can be extremely difficult on Slack between just controllers—and it’s written! I can’t begin to imagine how hard it would be to try and verbally communicate with people worldwide. Not a fan of this, at all.

4 Likes

An app for voice communication but maybe also have the ATC map visible? I’m sorry but I’m having a hard time understanding how this would be different than something like zello while the controller is looking at IF.

That’s why a third party solution is the best solution unless they charge an extra $10-15/month for voice ATC, but that will bring in a hailstorm of criticism.