The TWA Hotel - An Avgeeks Paradise

About KJFK

JFK. One of the most famous IATA codes in the world. John F. Kennedy Intl Airport is one of the biggest and busiest airports in the world, with destinations to every corner of the world. Aircraft big and small come to carry you to your destination, from the Bombardier CRJ-200 to the Antonov 225.

Credit

The TWA Hotel

One of the newest additions to the airport is the brand new TWA hotel. Located right next to JetBlue’s terminal 5, people on the top of the hotel have an unobstructed view of runways 22/4R and 22/4L, the primary runways for takeoff and landings. This makes the location ideal for planespotting or just observing the ramp area. The hotel is the result of a $265 million renovation of architect Eero Saarinen’s futuristic 1960s landmark, the TWA Flight Center. The best part- you can visit the top of the hotel even if you are not a guest. All you have to do is make a reservation ahead of time for anytime in between 11AM to 8PM.

Credit

Credit

Sources:

22 Likes

awesome !!!

1 Like

I love this area! I am flying out of JFK on Friday morning and although I’m only an hour drive away I will be staying the night tomorrow!

1 Like

How much is it to just stay and planespot on average?

Pool access is free! You don’t need to be staying at the hotel to enjoy the view from the pool.

A runway room costs about $300 before taxes for one night.

1 Like

A tip though. If the weather is good, I’d recommend not buying a runway room and instead spending the day on the pool deck.

How is the pool view? Is the view of the 22/4s clear? Thinking about going plane spotting there soon

The view is great! Poles will sometimes get in the way of traffic on the runway, and you will need a good camera, but the view is nice.
Ramp traffic and taxiing traffic are in great view!

1 Like

It isn’t JFK without poles… Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

You should check out @jfkjets on Instagram; bunch of shots from the TWA hotel there.

3 Likes

An example of the view from the pool deck.

1 Like

Are you allowed to stay there the entire time they are open to non-hotel guests (11-7), or no? And are cameras allowed?

Yes to both, but please be aware that it is a business, and you cannot just use their space. If you are there all day, try to buy drinks or food throughout the day to pay for the use of their space.

You need a room key to be able to access the deck. I stayed there two weeks after it opened. LOTS OF PROBLEMS. If you want a full on rant, DM me.

1 Like