The Tokyo-Haneda Airport Expansion

The Tokyo-Haneda Airport Expansion

As the 2020 Tokyo olympics approaches, Tokyo-Haneda is expanding! Currently, the airport announced several routes transferring from Tokyo-Narita to Tokyo-Haneda. As well as a few new ones. (More about it here) Where do all these routes have space at? Well here is the answer:

Here is the airport currently:

Terminal 1 - Domestic
Terminal 2- Domestic
International Terminal - International

The expansion can be divided into 2 parts

• International Terminal Expansion
  • Terminal 2 Changes

International Terminal Expansion
This terminal is being renamed terminal 3 and adding two new gates to the terminal (Gate 115 and 116). Additionally, the terminal will install new check-in desks for the new airlines.

Terminal 2 Changes
Terminal 2, previously a domestic terminal will have a portion of it’s terminal converted to international gates. Gate 73 will be built and gate 72 and 73 will be used as a solely for international flights while 71-66 will be used for both domestic and international flights. ANA will move it’s international operation to the new international terminal.
The gates from the domestic terminal will be moved to the north side of the airport:

These changes are now possible because the no-fly zone above the city lasting until 2020 has been taken away. These project cost at an estimated 1,040 billion yen or about $9.5 billion US dollars. Terminal 1 will also be refurbished.

Sources
14 Likes

Wow, nice! Somehow I didn’t even know that water runway existed…

1 Like

Yay! When it comes to IF, ANA Virtual and JAL Virtual will be so much happier!

2 Likes

What caused the no fly zone?

1 Like

noise pollution issues

Was there in August and I saw tons of expansions and renovations being done. With the T2 expansion I assume some more of the ANA heavies at T3 will shift to T2. But of course with the many route additions, it probably may stay the same. I wondered if they would turn some parts of T2 into INTL gates as I remember seeing tons of domestic heavies. Can’t wait to go to Japan this summer and maybe see the Olympics

1 Like

I read that it is possible for ANA to move all international operations to Terminal 2, but I can’t get 100% confirmation on that. Also, lucky you. You get to go to the 2020 Olympics.

NVM, misread, ANA will move all operations to Terminal 2

2 Likes

large_191112_aproach_03
Sad to see the curving approach (blue line) getting replaced by the new straight approach(orange lines).

2 Likes

i wish i went on that approach…

Sadly its not even used anymore even right now

1 Like

Isn’t the blue line a takeoff procedure?

oh yeah i forgot about that

but they also used to have an approach like that

2 Likes

I just like flying over Disney. Nice views of the city and Disney Sea and World

3 Likes

Cool! I’m currently in Osaka, Japan 🇯🇵

1 Like

It’s good that Haneda is being expanded. Due to its proximity to Tokyo, it will enable greater accessibility during the Olympics and in the long run. Hopefully more airlines will add services to Haneda.

1 Like

Not to mention I can get home for 410¥ and in less than 15 minutes vs 1 hour and 3000¥ On the Narita Express :)

2 Likes

Lucky you!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.