The State of Controlling: Just Do It!

For the recent emergence of people who are currently wishing to be advanced controllers, here’s a little motivational speech to get you going:

================================================================================================
Do it, just do it! Don’t let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday you said tomorrow. So just do it! Make your dreams come true. Just do it. Some people dream of success, while you’re going to wake up and work hard at it. Nothing is impossible… you should get to the point where anyone else would quit and you’re not going to stop there. NO! What are you waiting for?! DO IT! JUST DO IT! YES YOU CAN! JUST DO IT! If you’re tired of starting over, stop giving up. - Shia LaBeouf, 2015

With that aside, in all seriousness, push yourself out there! Just PM any one of the recruiters, of whom you can set up a test at one point. I happened to roll in the advanced ranks by pushing myself out there and associating with other members of the community. Due to that, I had the coincidence of running across Zachary Tish, who is now a near and dear friend of mine. Before I knew it, I was taking a test… and passed.

The moral is this- don’t be afraid to emerge out there and contact anyone. Believe in yourself. Believe that you CAN do it. Study hard, and ask as many questions as you can if you’re ever confused about an aspect of controlling.

To clear up confusion, you can theoretically take a practical test now. Our testing site hasn’t been completed yet, which would allow for mass-recruiting. As of now, our recruiters have to contend with combing people manually and just seeing who’s good out there. Please, contact a recruiter for your test! Begging for an ATC test will get you nowhere- opening a post with a honest and well-thought out intro will get you attention from the recruiters. Act mature and ask politely at one point to perhaps take a test- you will be considered.

-Stik
//Advanced Controller 2

14 Likes

I’m very motivated for my approach test now, thanks Josh. :)

3 Likes

I am in the queue to take the advanced test (thanks @Tyler_Shelton), this has been very motivational. Thank you.

2 Likes

Feel the power, @The_simulation_nerd! Glad to see that this speech helped you out. ^_^

@Henrik_B, just believe in yourself, man! Just keep thinking about the prized AC2 rank at the end of the tunnel… ^_^

5 Likes

So what does it take to be in the in crowd Joshua it’s a completely bias process you advanced controllers have now based on personal friends and relationships and less about actual controller capability. Not everyone can swindle there way in and the so called test is mearly a ploy to keep people at bay. Dont fill people with hope when their is non.

2 Likes

@Brandon_Sandstrom

I think you’re taking this the wrong way. There isn’t a bias process at all- the tests are conducted fairly and as efficiently as possible.

When someone gains entry into the advanced ranks, of course they’re going to gain personal relationships and friendships. It’s all part of being in the team- enjoying the camaraderie. You forget that a lot of us used to be nothing but mere pilots a long time ago- something that we don’t forget. Heck, I spent hours on the Playground yesterday doing touch and goes to even get enough XP to fly on advanced again. This whole “us versus them” mentality has to stop. I have no qualms about criticism, but constantly scrutinizing ATCs because of their position doesn’t justify that sort of behavior.

Heck, someone messaged me mere minutes after this post, asking me to advise him in preparation for his own test. I gladly did so, and we headed out to San Jose. He did pretty well, in fact! John Preston has now been assigned to this particular individual to sharpen his skills for his own upcoming test. This was all because this individual bothered to message me privately and ask nicely!

Trust me, if you ever gained entry into the ranks, I’ll like to see how it feels from your perspective. I want you to see what it’s like having to deal with people who do nothing but spit on you, especially after you’ve dedicated time towards controlling and the wellbeing of others. I take this job seriously. We all do. Heck, I can’t ever have a controlling job in real life, due to the fact that I am hard of hearing. Infinite Flight allows me to achieve my dream, so I handle my ATC job to the best of my ability.

ATC is no joke. Infinite Flight is no joke. It hurts us a lot as controllers when people berate us for every tiny little thing. One such exhibit would be the blowup about the 200 feet AGL pass at JFK.

Lighten up, dude. Feel free to PM me if you ever want some tips in regards to controlling. Above all, stay positive!

-Stik
//Advanced Controller 2

6 Likes

Good Luck for all, hope to work with you guys soon.

-HV
//Advanced Controller 2

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I became an advanced controller 2 weeks ago. I just sent one pm to @John_Preston21, I waited patiently, and was then handed over to @Axel_Beder to cope for timezone differences. I took the test and passed.

I had no connection at all with none of them, and just followed the recommended path (PM one of the recruiters just ONCE, wait, take the test). Maybe it was just luck. Maybe a low profile attitude helps. In any case I don’t think there was much bias in the process, and I’m sure the recently promoted advanced ATC experienced the same thing.

1 Like

No he meant he became advanced controller (2 weeks ago)

I have asked an recuiter

AC 2 weeks ago, not AC2 weeks ago :)

@divebuddha

Gasp!!!

So… you mean that my post was so awesome that it changed the emotion that you would normally feel into something else entirely? Dude, I’m so honored!!! It means so much that my post changed your feeling of happiness into one of boredom, which totally proves my mad writing skills! The awesomeness of my writing must have short-circuited the invoked emotion you were supposed to feel… I guess all that time spent in those writing workshops paid off!

As you can see, our abundance of advanced controllers do indeed make an impact! It’s nice to see that you’re noticing the fact that more and more advanced controllers are starting to pop up. It’s all rainbows and sunshine, dude. ^-^

I’m just so happy that you’re finally seeing the things that we advanced controllers see… There is indeed no bias at all, and you’re totally right about the fact that awesomeness is special for many people. Our flash events are also a joy, and the fact that you take time out of your personal life to participate in them means so much to us!

1 Like

Good luck to you, then. If there’s any questions you have in regards to any aspect of controlling, just ask a controller. Good luck, and may the Force be with you!

1 Like

If I made it, you can do too :D

3 Likes

I am sorry this makes you feel this way.

Anyway back to the topic: if you want to apply for advanced ATC, pm one of the recruiters and I am sure they will find the time to test you. If you want to practice beforehand, don’t hesitate to ask any of the advanced ATC.
And if you don’t want to apply that’s not a problem either - please just don’t discourage people who might be tempted - after all the more people to serve as ATC on the advanced server, the better for everyone -pilots as well as ATC :)

2 Likes

Some if this forum just need to grow a set ⚽️⚽️. You need to grow up .

4 Likes

2 Likes