The Question of Analog Cockpits in IF

Hello!

I’m sure many of you have seen a certain post (linked here) stating that a large analog cockpit similar to the one seen on Concorde wouldn’t be possible at the time (but could reappear in the future). Now, I know why it couldn’t be done then, and I know why it might not be a possibility now or in the near future.

But I still do have a lingering question. What about other analog-cockpit planes, would they be at all possible to make now or in the near future? I’m not talking about other large cockpits like on the 747-200, I’m talking about smaller aircraft with less complex analog cockpits, like the MD-80, and the original 737’s. What about those? They don’t have a complex flight engineer panel like Concorde, which was one of the leading reasons it wasn’t viable at the time. But for planes that still have an analog cockpit but don’t have a flight engineer’s panel, would they be a possibility?

The decision on the 757’s cockpit begs another question. Will we ever see an airliner with an analog cockpit at all in IF? With almost all of the top-voted reworks and additions to IF being aircraft with glass cockpits, and the fact that the 757’s cockpit was glass instead of the mostly analog version. Will we ever see a true analog cockpit on an airliner in IF? I know we have the A-10 and C-172, but that’s it.

Before you blast me, no, I’m not trying to promote or trash anything or anyone. I’m just asking a few questions that I have, and I’m sure many others have been wondering the same things.

I look forward to hearing your answers and thoughts if you have any. Have a great day IFC!

17 Likes

Completely agree, we need some analog cockpits, I would love to see the 737-200 in IF with his unique cockpit… I Think the devs try to stick to the community “demand”, the community prefer New and modern glass cockpits compared to the analog ones

2 Likes

And that’s the problem, there’s no variety between cockpit types that way and it only appeals to one group (albeit that group is the majority group), but it still leaves an entire style of aviation and cockpits with no hope of making it in IF anytime soon.

4 Likes

I completely agree with you on this… it’d be nice to have analog versions over glass cockpits sometimes

3 Likes

We need more analog cockpits. Right now, we have way too many glass cockpits, even though the majority likes that.

Let’s say we have 67% of people liking modern, and 33% liking classic. We cant just please the modern all the time, because then all of the classic will leave the simulator because of a lack of representation. The better outcome would be to have more of a mix, because the modern are still going to fly the planes that support the classic, same with vise versa. Though it may not be as enjoyable, it is better than having a big group (but minority) of classic not liking many aircraft and causing them to leave.

4 Likes

An MD-80 or 747-200 with analog gauges is something that i hope the future holds! Well written, and i certainly would like to know the answer, if we get one!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have used peepee and poopoo as examples, but that analogy is very accurate. You can’t continue to appease one group and leave the other with almost nothing compared to the others. I’d much prefer to have a variety instead of 20 glass cockpits and 2 analog ones (that aren’t even airliners).

I do respect and understand the business side of decision making, but I would like to see at least some variety.

2 Likes

Ok i changed it. I couldn’t think of anything off of the top of my head.

2 Likes

Long story short;
Soooo many animated objects, so so many.

7 Likes

and all the needles need that accuracy…

2 Likes

It’s many MANY objects and makes it a much heavier file than a digital one.

Currently the only analog cockpits we have are the X-Cub and C172 (simple and half digital in the Cub), and the only true live analog cockpit was the first live cockpit, the A10 one.

2 Likes

My guess would be that currently it still isn’t feasible because of the sheer amount of animations would cause the cockpit to take months on end to make and potentially cause lag because of all the moving parts. Is that correct?

If it is, would analog cockpits ever be a possibility sometime in the near (or far) future?

2 Likes

I can’t really say. It’s a bit out of my expertise. Wasn’t too long ago it was discussed though, and it’s a bit too much still :)

Whenever we do get there though, it’ll be super cool! I prefer needles as well :)

6 Likes

Good to know that in the future they’ll be able to be considered more, even though they’re still not 100% possible now.

Thanks for the info Seb!

3 Likes

To tack on to what Seb already said, it’s mostly a time issue (in addition to the fact that it would be a little difficult to confirm flight physics from real-world pilots as we have done with other planes). As it is now planes take too long for most people and they don’t like waiting.

I’ve mentioned this before but I spoke with one of the guys at Colimata who did concorde for desktop sim. It took most of them working full time+ hours for over 2 years due to the complexity of the cockpit. I imagine research was a big time factor as well.

You can apply this on a smaller scale to other dial cockpits. Doesn’t mean we won’t do them, but it’s a huge factor in deciding what we do next.

We are certainly community-driven, but not community-lead. 🙂 As explained many many times, there are so many factors that lead development decisions.

11 Likes

Thanks for the explanation Jason!

Regarding the time constraints, would some of the smaller ones be in the realm of possibility sometime in the future, even though they may take longer than a typical glass cockpit?

1 Like

I don’t have an answer for that, unfortunately. That’s not a yes or a no.

5 Likes

Ok, understood.

Thanks again though!

1 Like

I’ve never been a fan of 100% glass cockpits. I completely understand that they’re easier, but I do appreciate being able to not stare at a bright screen 24/7. I just think that analog cockpits are more appeals to the eye and look the best. Especially at night.

image image

3 Likes

737-200 also has a nice cockpit, and it doesn’t seem that hard to do

and the -200’s overhead panel seems to be a little easier (or as difficult) to model than (as) the NG

1 Like