The problem with the “Training” server

I don’t know if this belongs on r/vent on Reddit or not but. The training server, as the name implies, it’s meant for training. Or it’s supposed to. In my eyes with the current state it’s in, the training server is the casual server with speed violations and ATC that is optional to follow. I have been try to get to 600 Ops using the training server and the amount of pilots who are hyper entitled is shocking. It’s quite a shock as when I was grade 2, I flew rather quiet routes like VTBS - YMML. But now that I’m trying to be ATC, it’s miserable trying to learn the interface when people are not listening. Whether it’s from changing frequencies without permission to lining up on the runway without permission, or slamming unable to get what they want and approach the airport from the closer end even tho that’s where departures are. Although I say turn left heading ___ and expect ILS RNWY ____ and they just ignore me. This is very common with hyper busy airports like KLAX or EGLL. Why can’t we report them? It’s for training… not optional atc. I understand that manual report reviews are hard but implementing a simple warning after they switch frq without permission and if that reaches three they get a do reduction. It doesn’t have to be significant but enough to let them know not to do it again. I understand most if not all people are using the training server as a stepping stone to expert but just follow ATC it’s not that hard. ATC is meant to streamline processes not spend all the time arguing with entitled idiots. What are your thoughts?

7 Likes

I totally understand and agree

3 Likes

I’m trying to get ops too and it’s absolutely mayhem. One time someone was lined up for 25R instead of 25L, they were told to go around but just kept going for 25R. Once they landed they said “Your welcome” trying to be sarcastic ig… honestly kinda funny but I feel even the expert server has turned into the training server from years ago. I’m actually trying to have a professional flight and I see a Cessna caravan with the callsign “Brickyard 3829 Super” or something like that 💀

9 Likes

It’s not ideal.
Try to get to Expert as soon as possible.

1 Like

They realy said “You’re welcome” after doing that 😂😂😂😂😂

3 Likes

Yes it was so funny 😂

2 Likes

still, cant compare to the casual server.

once i was doing QF63, a transoceanic intercontinental flight that leaves you isolated for about 15 hours, when i saw an Airbus A380 or something like that during barrel rolls at 43000 feet with the callsign “Air Force 420 Super” with an Air Austral livery flashing its landing lights every 3 seconds.

4 Likes

The training server is silly and frustrating, I agree. There isn’t even an option to tell people to read the manual, like there is on expert.

EGLL and KLAX get the worst offenders. I recommend using other airports. Even if they’re quiet when you start, they will often pick up traffic as people see that someone is on ATC.

3 Likes

I believe violations should be either considered in good/bad faith. Good faith violations are accidental, or in other case not meant to cause disruption. Bad faith violations should never be Level 1 and should result in further action. This limits trolling and also makes the training server more formal.

2 Likes

Trolls would take advantage and report people for no reason

2 Likes

The app needs to at least give people automated guidance about following basic rules. Don’t take off without clearance, don’t ask for flight following after checking in, don’t repeat messages, etc.

2 Likes

The last two Points happens on the expert server every second.

There is no session without the question of flight following! 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 Like

It happens 😩😂

Same, the training server is just such a hot mess. Crazy pilots and useless ATCs (including myself whenever I try being an ATC in the training server)

Training server is a graduated steppingstone between casual and expert. It allows a safe environment to make mistakes during practice by both pilots and controllers while each side build their skills. The real test, “the enforcement phase” of that learning curve climb is stepping up to the expert server.

Training server has “gold nuggets” as far as both willing pilots and controllers wanting to cooperate with each other, amongst many other cases where there is not much cooperation.

But I always found there was enough there to harvest useful learning. It’s imperfect as much as it needs to be.

It’s a learning sandpit in a sense. It has value as the steppingstone stage that it is.

At least this is my view in hindsight.

The “Expert Server” is also far from what it aims to achieve, surely isn’t the same since the rollout of Global. Each server will have bad apples, from pilots and controllers alike. However on the Expert Server, there have been more bad experiences as of late.

1 Like

unfortunately this is so… it is almost impossible to fly on Training Server or do the work of a ATC at airports such as Heathrow or Los Angeles. We have to look for smaller airports and get out there…

1 Like

Today, this happened to one of my close friends, @TheNorthwestDog. He was controlling on expert, and he issued a “Please Follow Instructions or You will Be reported”. The user then said “You’re Welcome”. Even Expert is like this now.

3 Likes

Here’s an example of what’s right with the Training Server (it’s constructively fulfilling its role):

1 Like

I’d say the casual server is much better than the training server. Feels more professional even! It should be the opposite, you’d think.

The training server really is more the “casual server”, and the casual server, more like the supposed training server

1 Like