The problem with the PW1000G (Main operator: A320 NEO)

Why is everyone so angry and shaming everyone and everything associated with Airbus and Pratt? The PW1000G series of engines is a complex beast, teething pains are to be expected. Planes will have problems for a year or two while systems mature and manufacturers gather data on their engines and make revisions as needed.

Pratt & Whitney has had problems with their engine designs, the PW1000G is a do-or-die project for them, they can’t afford this engine to flop. They will fix the problems because they can’t afford not to. The airlines will have to make do with other planes in the near future while P&W fixes the last minute issues with their design.

If you think about this in terms of app development. Airbus is only doing the “Alpha” phase of testing, airlines are essentially taking planes in “beta” with minor bugs and imperfections for the first year or two, the 787 is a great example of this. There are problems that do slip through to the beta release and the product will not mature for another couple of years. That’s just how things work.

10 Likes

I don’t think I’d call mid-flight engine shutdowns “teething pains”.

2 Likes

You’re happy about a company having a problem with an airplane engine?
Wow.

5 Likes

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Here are my thoughts on this:

I feel one of the biggest effects this will have is the fuel efficiency of aircraft. Since these aircraft have to fly at lower altitudes until it is fixed, this means the aircraft will consume fuel at a higher rate, and airlines will have to load the planes with more fuel to compensate for this. As a result, profit margins for these planes will go down, and will have a severe effect financially until the issue is fixed.

1 Like

I don’t think that is a real switch…

1 Like

On Spirit planes, there is one :)

3 Likes

The GE90-115B on the 777-300ER was a bit of a handful just after the aircraft entered service in the early 2000s - Unfortunately this isn’t unheard of.

Good news is the amount of data being collected by the engine sensors and in flight health systems is huge, they should be able to isolate the cause pretty fast.

Manufacturing the newly designed parts is the slow bit.

4 Likes

Next to the lever that activates the pay per minute system for overhead O2.

3 Likes

That’s too bad:-( the NEO was the only plane in the A320 Series that I liked.

1 Like

In-flight engine shutdowns are surprisingly common. Many mature airframes will still have shutdowns every once in a while because of engine problems. Aircraft engines are very temperamental beasts.

2 Likes

Volez Français, volez Leap :D

2 Likes

They do have 2 engine options on the 787. But the reason they don’t have another engines option on the 777X and the 737MAX is because no one can beat those current designs of the engines.

For sure. Maybe time for Spirit to switch to 737 MAX?

2 Likes

To be fair, the PW1000G is technically better than the LEAP, the 737 just can’t fit it under the wing because of the 737’s non-existent ground clearance.

I am not happy about it. I am just saying “YES” because it happens all the time. Please don’t take it the wrong way.

Still not exceptable for an engine to shutdown like that IN MID FLIGHT!

They used to have 6 (I think) of the NEOS in service. Now they only have 2, and I am showing one of them.

1 Like

Well the 737 is just an old design. The leap can’t fit under it either.

There are plenty of events like this, you just don’t hear about them on the news. It’s not limited to the A320 NEO. 777s, 737s, A330s, A380s, they all have these issues. There is no need for hostility.

Please send an urgent letter to Boeing regarding the production of the 737 MAX. They’ve been fitting the LEAP engines underneath them without any issues.

7 Likes

And why did they retire them? That’s doesn’t seem to make sense…

1 Like