The Power of Spacing

Some of you may know Nate Schneller. Nate recently made a post on the Infinite Flight Aviation Expert’s Instagram page and I thought I would share his words with all of you.

The Power of Spacing: How it Helps
Spaced Flight is one of the more common flights we see here in IFAE. But when in busy environments, It has a use. When approach controllers sequence planes for the ILS, they maintain a certain distance from each other. Spaced Flights, cut the controller’s difficulties putting the flight in sequence. A Formation on the other hand can result in 1 or more holding patterns for following pilots, and possibly can jam the sequence. So if you want a Formation in the expert server, do it in a less populated sky. It also reduces the risk of go-arounds while on final. When maintain a good amount of space between one another, going around won’t be a threat to your flight. The exception to this is you have 2 or more parallel runways. In case you don’t know, here’s how.
[PLAN]
Assign “speed gates”, or altitudes that allow one pilot to increase speed. This speed increase, will also result in an increase in space between the pilot who has exceeded the speed gate and the pilot below.
[TAKEOFF]
When you have the lead, you may take off when ready. The following pilots in your flight, will have to wait until a certain distance to take off. For example, let’s say you take off when the plane you follow is 5 NM away. The line-up point is about half that. Like 3NM. It is important to use speed gates to help increase spacing. Otherwise, you’d be too close.
[DESCENT]
This is where it gets tricky. When maintaining a certain airspeed, your ground speed decreases as you go down. You’re following someone who is in this kind of effect. The only way, is to look at the ground speed the plane you follow has, and match it with yours.
[FINAL]
When on final, you may decrease the maximum spacing. Make sure to match the ground speed, or maintain slowest practical speed, to keep the space. Think you’re far enough, speed at your discretion. Too close? Slow down. Avoid having yourself too close to an already landed plane. This is grounds, for go-arounds.
[RECOMMENDATIONS]
•Spacing
Line-up and wait: 3NM
Takeoff: 5NM
Minimum Flight Spacing: 10 or 8 NM.
Final Approach Spacing: 5 to 8NM.
•Speed Gates
Max 240kts IAS Below 10,000 feet.
Max 280kts below 18,000 feet+

This is how IFAE does spacing and with the recent confusion I’ve seen in the past few months I thought I would share it with you since Nate doesn’t have a Forum account. Again, credits to Nate! Go follow the IFAE page on Instagram for more tips like this @ifaviationexperts on Instagram! Thank you!

14 Likes

I saw this post, it was quite the read

1 Like

Amazing! Very informative! I wish I could move this!

1 Like

I think this idea is not bad but needs improving. This could be replaced with:
“Increase to …”
“Decrease to …”

This is not a feature request?

He is TL2, and he’s just educating the community about this problem.

1 Like

Oh, ok. Roger that. From the speed hates part, I thought that he was requesting a feature. Sorry!

No, it’s a referral to using ‘speed gates’

Picking certain points to increase / decrease etc. it’s not a request for a feature.

1 Like

Okay, Thanks. From what I picked up, I thought that that was a feature request. Sorry!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.