The Pilot Shortage

1 Like

Ha! I just saw my old employer listed as one of the low starting wage carriers.
One thing the video didn’t account for was the high turn over rate at the regional airline level. Starting at $18k to 20k annual wage and having to domicile in an expensive city such as San Francisco Bay Area makes those starting years as first officer a struggle.
Most U.S. regional carriers pilot positions are non-union (there’s some good and bad with that).

For those out there wanting to be airline pilots don’t let this video discourage you. There’s first officer positions out there, its competive but rewarding. Some (if not almost all) don’t compensate enough at the regional airline level. However, after 3 to 5 years most pilots move on to legacy carriers.

From my experience:
The Good:
Flight benefits (that you’ll hardly use due to your work schedule)
Medical Dental and AD&D insurance.
Retirement Plan
Flight experience
Seniority
Aircraft type rating (EMB-120, CRJ200)

The Bad:
Delays
Cancellations
Timing out
Pay
Schedule bids / Scheduling
Certain planes in the fleet (lemons)
Weight restricted aircraft on long routes
Crash Pads
Less than desirable domiciles

1 Like

I just want to point out, it’s not glamorous as it was in 80s. If you have passion go for it, if you just want money become banker or lawyer and sue all the companies for copyright infringement ;)

1 Like

Quite frankly I’d become e a pilot for free. But I’d need to financially support myself in the long run.

In that case all that’s needed is a private pilot license (PPL).

I’m afraid I shan’t be taking the lesson route. PPL - CPL - Ratings etc etc. If I was going to spend all that money I would save up some extra and go for CTC wings and complete an integrated ATPL. Instead, Ive applied for the airforce instead, less exspensive and perhaps more thrilling!

All the best

The problem is (in Europe at least), is that there’s basically no limit of people willing to pay £150,000 for an MPL and their line training. Much scorn has been made of the Pay2Fly scheme, where license holders actually PAY to perform their duties in the LHS to build up hours. This really just reveals how many people are actually willing to earn practically nothing if they get to fly the big shiny jets as their first aviation job. If you took a fresh college grad and offered him a position with any of the US majors, I wouldn’t imagine that he’d be looking too closely about the offered contract. Either way there’s always a pool of hundreds of impressive candidate for the US majors to pick. As Todd said, it’s the regionals which can really weed out pilots.

1 Like