The ONLY US -> Uruguay Connection!

M I A, Miami International Airport is commonly referred to as the United States 🇺🇸 getaway to Latin America, thanks to airlines like American Airlines, Avianca, LATAM, Copa Airlines etc… most major AND secondary cities in Latin America are just 1 flight away or just require 1 stop and here is one of those nonstop flights, so far as of November 18th, 2023 it is the ONLY nonstop service from the USA 🇺🇸 to Uruguay 🇺🇾 American Airlines sends their Boeing 787-8s from Late October to Late November from their hub in Miami 🏝️😎 down to the nations capital of Montevideo. And yes I know Boliviana de Aviación offers the only nonstop USA 🇺🇸 Bolivia 🇧🇴 connection with their MIA → VVI route but I decided to do MIA → MVD mainly because 1, we don’t have ANY BOA aircraft in game and 2 there is 2 flights from MIA to Santa Cruz and those flights are YEAR ROUND versus this one there is only 1 flight, it isn’t offered daily and it’s seasonal but enough rambling let’s fly down to Uruguay! 🇺🇾

Flight Info

Origin: Miami Intl 🇺🇸 ( KMIA )
Destination: Cesareo “Carrasco” L. Berisso Intl 🇺🇾 ( SUMU )
Flight Time: 8:22
Boeing 787-8 ( American Airlines )
Server: Expert

Good evening from gate D21! Well not evening since it’s like 10:40pm or something but anyways, here is the Boeing 787-8 we’ll be taking down to Uruguay tonight! Doesn’t it look amazing? Glad IF added the AA -8 in 23.3, it opened up many routes that don’t see the -9 and I can recreate MIA → CLO from March 2022 properly now! But that’s a mission for a different day, let’s focus on tonight’s journey!

Pushback tug POV 📸

It’s that time again we’re reverse ops hit MIA, so no flying directly over Downtown Miami 🏝️😎 this time which sucks but I do that 99.9% of the time so I should just be grateful for something different. But anyways

ST-PFM, Runway 26L cleared for take off wind calm

and we’re off!

Last view over the 305 🏝️😎 before it fades away as we climb higher and higher and as we fly further and further!

We reached our cruising altitude of FL390 at around 11:50pm and I got into this business class seat to rest at about midnight while the crew were doing the dinner service you can see the Bahamas 🇧🇸 out in the distance but not much else and I’m super tired right now it’s time to hit the hay!

Good morning ☀️ from somewhere over Argentina 🇦🇷 next to its borders with Brazil 🇧🇷 and Uruguay 🇺🇾 breakfast has been going around the cabin so we’re getting closer and closer to Montevideo!

We started out descent over the fields and rivers of Uruguay 🇺🇾 around 200 miles or so north of Montevideo so it’s time for this flight to come to an end!

HELLO MONTEVIDEO 👋🇺🇾 after 8 hours and 15 minutes in the air it’s finally in sight along with the cities Carrasco Intl Airport down below where I’ll be touching down soon! We did have some trouble on this approach into MVD, our plane was taking turns sharp enough to make them and also we were descending REALLY FAST which didn’t help and after a 8 hour long haul flight, NOBODY wants to go around but I think I “knew” what to do, I’ve been in this situation so many times to the point if I feel that the autopilot isn’t going to do it, I just fly it manually so I just flew that troublesome turn by hand and then re engaged the autopilot once I felt safe again kinda panicking but it did save me a go around so I’m happy about that! 😁 But this flight used to be joked around by Uruguayans about being “cursed” since there was ALWAYS something that went wrong mainly mechanical problems since before they were retired, AA sent their ANCIENT Boeing 767-300s down to MVD but now they are gone! the dreamliner is here to replace them so it’s running MUCH BETTER.

TOUCHDOWN! Welcome to Carrasco Intl Airport serving the Uruguayan capital city of Montevideo and sure enough I heard nonstop CLAPS 👏🏼 throughout the cabin, people were really happy to be here including myself! Overall it was a FANTASTIC flight, despite the troublesome approach it was very unique to fly this only route and it brought me back to when I did my first live long haul flight back in late June from MIA to neighboring Buenos Aires, Argentina 🇦🇷 also with AA but on their Boeing 777-300ER!

Parked here at Carrasco’s gate 34 and despite this number, there is ONLY 4 gates here at MVD and it it Uruguay’s 🇺🇾 PRIMARY airport for a major airport, it’s really small but amazing and so is the B787-8 small, short, cute but very powerful still happy to this day they brought it to IF! Stay tuned for Monday where the next trip begins also an AA long haul but back to Europe and as always between now and the next time, see you in the sky! 😉👋

6 Likes

Nice photos, tho for night instead of brightening the photo just change your time to october 30 it’s way brighter.

1 Like

Yeah IK abt that trick, but I wanted it to be how it would look the actual day I took this flight and thanks!