The most remote islands in the World - A journey across the South Atlantic

The most remote islands in the World - A journey across the South Atlantic

In December 2019, I started a flight through the southern Indian Ocean to Antarctica. I visited some of the most remote islands of this world in Infinite Flight and was amazed by their beauty.

Now I set off on another voyage, this time through the South Atlantic.

The Route

The flight started in Cape Town, South Africa, headed for Mount Pleasant on the Falkland Islands. And again took me over some of the most remote islands in the world:

• Tristan da Cunha, Inaccessible Island and Nightingale Islands (1)
  • Gough Island (2)
  • Bouvet Island - The most remote island in the world (3)
  • South Georgia (4)

Tristan da Cunha, Inaccessible Island and Nightingale Islands

Tristan da Cunha is probably the most remote but inhabited island in the world. As a British Overseas Territory, it lies almost 2800km from Cape Town. It can only be reached by boat: the journey from Cape Town to the island takes 5 days and is only possible nine times a year.

Tristan da Cunha

Nightingale Islands (left) and Inaccessible Island (right)

From right to left: Tristan da Cunha, Inaccessible Island, Nightingale Islands

Gough Island

Gough Island is located about 400 kilometers southeast of Tristan da Cunha and, like Tristan da Cunha, is part of the British Overseas Territory of St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha. 6 people live on this island as part of a science station.

Gough Island seen from the West

Bouvet Island

Bouvet Island is a dependent territory of Norway but does not belong to Norway. It is officially the most remote island in the world: To Antarctica, it's 1700km; to Tristan da Cunha, it's 1850km; and to South Africa, it's 4200km. The island is not inhabited.

Bouvet Island seen from the South

South Georgia

South Georgia is also a British Overseas Territory. The island is located about 1500km east of the Falkland Islands and is inhabited by about 30 people and 400'000 king penguins. The highest mountain on the island is almost 3000m high.

South Georgia seen from the West

Cumberland East Bay, Nordenschild Glacier and Mount Paget

Cumberland East Bay and Nordenschild Glacier

Cumberland West Bay and Moraine Fjord

For me, it is probably, together with the French Southern and Antarctic Lands, the most impressive place I have visited in Infinite Flight so far.

I can only recommend you to explore the more remote spots of this world with Infinite Flight. You always discover amazing things.

Marc

38 Likes

And for those who say, “We know everything about this planet.”

1 Like

Incredible Pictures Marc! 😍

1 Like

Thank you 😊

1 Like

Im bored with mosts posts on this forum but this might be one of the coolest Ive seen. Ive always been interested in remote lands and a flight I have often considered making but really dont have the time to perform. The screenshots here are fantastic and I really enjoyed them. Thank you!!!

Lovely photos Marc! It is rather interesting to me as I have never heard of these islands before and I’m sure most people haven’t either!

1 Like

Very nice shots !

1 Like

Terrible pictures!! I love them! :D

1 Like