The marvelous Maldives (FLIGHT 1)

I have been teasing this trip for a super long time, the first time I talked about what was almost a year ago in August 2023 while spotting in Miami 🏝️😎 the day before school started and while I caught an Emirates Boeing 777-300ER from Dubai, UAE 🇦🇪 I mentioned that I was planning a Maldives 🇲🇻🏝️ trip soon and EK would most likely be my airline of choice. And reveled during Thanksgiving break 2023 that my Emirates flight to the Maldives 🇲🇻🏝️ via Dubai was booked. And started hyping it up ever since and now today is the day, the wait is no more. Welcome to Miami International Airports south terminal concourse J home to majority of the foreign non one world carriers here at MIA and today I am here to catch an Emirates B77W from here in the magic city 🏝️😎 over to Dubai, this will be one exciting trip for sure! And we are already off to a good start, yeah the check in lines were kind of long but thanks to the great staff, we were actually moving quickly and since EK participates in TSA pre check, we cleared security in like 5 minutes and we were soon in the departures hall. This is probably the NICEST terminal in all of MIA I even consider it slightly better than Americans concourse D both are spacious but the check in area here is much more spacious than the check in area in concourse D. But to be honest, it’s kind of creepy in here especially since it’s pretty empty almost like a liminal space in a way. There were only 2 flights left excluding our flight to DXB, A Virgin Atlantic flight to London Heathrow, UK 🇬🇧☕️ and a LATAM flight down to Lima, Peru 🇵🇪 and once they boarded and left, the place was dead but enough of exploring this empty, spacious terminal let’s get to gate J17 where our flight is waiting for us!

FLIGHT INFO

Origin: Miami Intl 🇺🇸 (KMIA)
Destination: Dubai International 🇦🇪 (OMDB)
Flight Time: 13:27
Boeing 777-300ER (Emirates)
Server: Expert

Unfortunately the view of our B77W is a obstructed by 3 jetways since our gate can accommodate Airbus A380s but apparently MIA isn’t a big enough market that it would be profitable to send us the jumbos but over there is A6-EGE, an almost 13 year old Boeing 777-300ER delivered to Emirates in August 2011. Ever since June 3rd, the B77Ws operating this city pair got an additional task which was to fly from MIA down to Bogotá, Colombia 🇨🇴 as this route is extremely profitable and popular actually being the 2nd busiest international destination from MIA behind Mexico City, Mexico 🇲🇽 before these planes would take off from DXB, come to MIA and spend the whole day parked going back home and parked planes make no money. And wanted to expand into BOG and they took advantage of the flights to MIA and sent them south to Colombia 🇨🇴 before coming back to MIA and eventually Dubai but enough chit chat, let’s board this bird!

As an economy passenger, I was told to board through door 2L so I unfortunately won’t get to see the 6 “Game Changer” first class suites which are arranged in a 1-1-1 setup but just looking at them online, they look AWESOME! I did get to see the 2nd section of the 2-3-2 configured “Game Changer” business class cabin which has 42 seats total and behind that are the 306 remaining economy seats which even still looked great for this 13 and a half hour flight. There are 3 sections of economy on this plane, a small section between the end of the business cabin and doors 3, and after that are the remaining full 2 sections. I am seated in the very last row in the 1st full section of economy class, 36A to be specific. Waiting for me was a pillow, blanket and water bottle, so far Emirates is doing pretty good but how will the meals and IFE be? Hopefully they will be good but it is EK so I do have high expectations for those things, but let’s pushback to begin our 13 hour and 27 minute journey across the pond, Europe and the Middle East to Dubai!

Tonight’s departure would be from MIAs runway 9 which usually only sees cargo departures from the southern cargo area due to its proximity, but both middle eastern airlines that serve MIA which are Emirates and Qatar use this runway most likely due to its length and these planes are pretty heavy on departure, British Airways A380s also tend to use this runway more often than others but sometimes use the main RWY 8R. But our RWY 9 departure was very lengthy just reminding me just how far we have to go so it’s time to sit back, relax and enjoy our flight!

After a usual gorgeous eastern departure out of MIA flying right above the heart of downtown Miami 🏝️😎 we turned north east towards the North Atlantic tracks, we would initially climb up to FL290 due to our weight but our captain said we intend to reach FL350 around 3/4s of the way to Dubai tonight. The crew started the very late Dinner service while flying directly north of Nassau, Bahamas 🇧🇸 EK provided many options even a vegetarian option but of I course went with the barbecue chicken as my main, it was accompanied with side salad, chocolate mousse, water and beverage of choice which I went with Coke. Now while this meal was tasty, it was a bit underwhelming especially since I expected more for “the worlds best airline” but it was still good and sufficient so that’s all that matters. The crew also seemed pretty friendly and happy to be working with such airline so 4 stars here ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ but it’s like 2:00AM at our present position and we still got a long way to do, I say it’s time to go to sleep.

I wanted to catch the sunrise on this flight but I woke up super late that I MISSED breakfast, luckily there was still a “vegetarian” type breakfast still available which was waffles with eggs yeah, eggs strange to see this in a meal for vegetarians. This meal came along with a warm bread rolls with butter, crackers, cheese and another water and choice of beverage which I went with coffee ☕️ and this was for sure the best breakfast I’ve ever had on a plane well done Emirates! 👏 By this point as we cruise right by Paris, France 🇫🇷🥖 we still got a good 6 hours remaining so I decided to check out what the IFE has to offer, EK has a good amount of TV shows and movies to watch on demand even having a kids section which I always find useful despite not being a parent myself. Wi-Fi was also available for purchase it was quite costly but worked well so there is definitely lots to keep you entertained along the way.

After a couple of episodes of The Big Bang Theory later, the had begun setting right by south eastern Turkey 🇹🇷 with a view of the Van Gölü lake. We are getting close and closer to Dubai now with only 2 hours remaining until arrival.

Around 90 minutes before landing we were finally in the Middle East and we were served our final form of food just off the coast of Kuwait City, Kuwait 🇰🇼 we were given a burrito looking thing but with mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce inside basically a burrito pizza 🍕🌯 along with another choice of beverage which I went with Coke. I am very impressed with Emirates in terms of meal quality yeah the initial dinner service was lacking a but but the other 2 made up for it! Now it was time to watch some more TBBT until it was interrupted by this announcement just off the coast of Qatar 🇶🇦 that after a long 13 hours and 15 minutes, we would FINALLY be beginning the descent into Dubai and it was soon time for this flight to end, unfortunately as someone on the left side we didn’t get the most elegant view of the city but I did see the Burj Khalifa, the tallest skyscraper in the world for a split second as we passed by DXB airport of right downwind before eventually turning base for RWY 30L.

We actually flew right past the airport a significant amount turned base while still quite a bit away from the runway itself and we did it at around 180 knots most likely because the turns from downwind to bad and then final were really sharp so better be safe than sorry 🤷‍♂️ now there isn’t much to see out the window since 1 it’s pitch black outside and 2 it’s a desert 🌵 anyways so it’s really just sand and streets so let’s just skip to our touchdown on DXBs RWY 30L.

There’s absolutely nothing better than a smooth approach and landing to wrap up a very long flight. Welcome to Dubai ladies and gentlemen! Now any minor disappointments aside, this is definitely a flight to remember. Years ago I would constantly watch videos about Emirates, especially their fabulous A380s and their game changer first class suite and now years later, getting to see the iconic cabin, crew uniforms and hearing the very famous boarding music made me super happy and I hope every aviation enthusiast gets to experience Emirates one way or another. Especially since they actually do provide a good product and have an amazing route network so yes while EK can be expensive, it is 100% worth the hype!

If I wasn’t happy already after spending a very memorable 13 hours and a half in an Emirates B77W, I now get the chance to experience Dubai’s terminal 3 which if I thought concourse J in Miami 🏝️😎 was beautiful, this is far more gorgeous than concourse J back home but than again it is the United Arab Emirates 🇦🇪 and not the US 🇺🇸 so I shouldn’t be surprised. Passport control 🛂 didn’t take long but it didn’t matter either way since I got myself a pretty long layover before my flight to Male tomorrow morning, my bags also came out pretty early and I was soon off to explore Dubai as much as I can before tomorrow night retuning to the airport to catch my next Emirates B777-300ER over to the Maldives 🇲🇻🏝️ anyways I’m glad you joined me on this flight to the Dubai from the magic city 🏝️😎 with Emirates and hoping you’ll swing by for my next flight to Male and as always between now and the next time, see you in the sky! 😉👋

15 Likes

My favorite show!

Love the trip report! Great storytelling.

3 Likes

Thank you @Mort nice to see fans of TBBT on the IFC!

3 Likes

Nice shots, definitely a lot of interesting reading lol

1 Like

Love it but young Sheldon is better! 👆🔝

2 Likes

Nice trip report with a lot of details and very descriptive about that trip report. @NonStopsAviation

2 Likes

@Delta174J I like both but I feel like most modern Young Sheldon viewers only started watching it from social media and most likely never watched TBBT

@Udeme_Ekpo Thank you as always! :)

4 Likes

I’ve flown Emirates quite a lot in my life and I still wish they would give out meals like this. More American meals like BBQ chicken. I understand it isn’t “upmarket” but I would still love that especially for long flights when you can know you can eat something and that you will like it. Nice trip report. I used to fly in and out of DXB all the time in IF but now I’ve got bored of it. Looking forward to your trip report to the Maldives @NonStopsAviation.

3 Likes

Yeah if you don’t like much, you’re out of luck

but thanks, part 2 should be up later tonight!

1 Like

To be fair the breakfasts aren’t bad. I always look forward to that.

3 Likes

Yeah, they don’t look bad at all idk why people complain

I’m guessing the bulk of the thought put into catering is in business and first class.

1 Like

Yeah thats true but EK’s economy class food is also widely regarded as one of the best in the world. But the introduction of comfort food and food which everyone likes such as upmarket burgers or gourmet wings etc should make an appearance for more variety. Also with the growing concern of food allergies I also think they should invest more in that since they have a big market in western countries where food allergies are high.

2 Likes

It always is, I mean you pay a bigger price so you should at least get a higher quality meal than those who pay for the cheapest ticket

1 Like