The Highlights of Saturday at Munich Security Conference | Munich, February 15, 2020

Hi again!

Since I started the little Security Conference series earlier this week, it’s now time for the best day of the weekend (even though we had a great time and a lot of fun next to the fence all four days long). Just like the days before, the day didn’t start with the best weather so the Embraer of the Government of Belgium came in to land with rather bad light but that was set to improve very soon.

For the arrival of Rossiya’s A319 wearing the special sports livery, sun had already come out a bit later.

But let’s get back to government traffic. Like every year, the United States sent a huge delegation so we saw multiple planes from there such as two of their C-32s, often referred to as “Air Force 2”. It’s twin departed later using the northern runway.

While the livery of Air Force 2 dates back quite a few years already, this small bird recently got a refresh just like the other members of the Condor fleet. It’s not a government jet but it was the first time I spotted a Condor A320 in new colors so I figured I’d show it here.

As I mentioned in the topic for Thursday and Friday, Azerbaijan visited Munich for the conference with an A340-600. Additionally, they also sent a Boeing 767 which was the last movement to utilize runway 08R. After that, the direction was changed to 26L and hundreds of spotters resulted in a mass migration to the other end.

We decided to stay at the middle of the runway to take pictures of the departing planes upon rotation. However we also got a few shots of arriving planes such as this JetTime 737 operating a flight for Norwegian helping out during their lack of equipment due to the MAX grounding.

The little brother of the C32, the C40 or in it’s civil variant a Boeing 737 operated by the US Air Force also left Munich again.

Shortly after the first to VIP jets (C32 and C40) had left, a heavy arrival from Brussels slowed down on the runway allowing me to take my first ever C-17 pic.

But there also were other governments participating, even though they were operating smaller jets. Speeding down the runway in front of Albania’s new A319 TC-ANA, the Dassault Falcon of Bulgaria left Munich with a rather long takeoff roll.

You thought that was small though? Not quite. Recently adapted to take the new name of the country in account, North Macedonia’s Learjet climbed out in quite nice light that was yet to become even better with the sun beginning to slowly set.

In that light, not only government jets left, but also civil traffic, even though that traffic wasn’t less protected than the important planes (have a look at the belly). Another first time for me since I’ve only spotted El Al planes from Tel Aviv so far. Since they don’t fly on Saturday though, the flight to Tel Aviv was operated by Israir who, in my opinion, have an amazing livery.

Before we finally reach the BIG highlight, lets first show you the tiny highlight that departed right before for a much shorter flight. Operated by KLM, this 737 brought the Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte back home to the Netherlands.

After what seemed to be an endless taxi with something around 5 knots, we finally got the highlight we were waiting for in perfect evening light only a few minutes prior to sunset. After arriving in Munich in rather dull light on Thursday, Kuwait’s A340-500 rose up into the air right in front of us making for an amazing motive.

After a nice dinner with a load of spotters in the Brewery of Munich Airport, we again headed to the airport fence for a few more night shots, this time without any special visitors, but even a Lufthansa A321 can look amazing if taken from the right angle I guess…

I hope you enjoyed this quick Saturday collection. As always, over time more shots from these days will appear on my social media accounts listed below. Also stay tuned for the last few pics from Sunday, which also showed some nice movements, obviously mainly departures.

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I need a wide angle lens)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First two days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again! You’ll end up in a burnout very soon I fear…
@Marc you’re welcome 😉

25 Likes

The US Air Force B737 is my favorite pic!
Love the Lufthansa A321 to.

1 Like

Nice shots as always Moritz! I do like Rossiya’s liveries, they are so modern and yet simple at the same time.

1 Like

At least one airline not pulling a Lufthansa 😂

I love how it’s named “Worms”

As per usual lovely pictures mate. I must say though, what’s up with all the US Airforce aircraft?

2 Likes

Well, Worms is the name of a German City ;)

The US sent a huge delegation for the Security Conference including Nancy Pelosi, the SECDEF and more, just like basically every year actually

1 Like

Absolutely stunning shots once again! The LH A321 is simply amazing and the conditions fit the new livery extremely well.

Obviously those specials are fantastic too. Great topic, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.