The High Price of Flying

The High Price of Flying

We all know it. Flying in real life is expensive. While carriers like Spirit, Ryanair, and Southwest (among other LCCs and ULCCs) help bring down costs, they definitely have their gaps in service.

Flying is made expensive because, among other reasons, flying a plane is expensive!, maintenance fuel, crew, gate fees, etc add up! Airlines are businesses, and they have to make a profit to stay afloat.

That being said, sometimes the price doesn’t make sense.

In Delta Economy, at sort of an “off” time (Mid-November) it would cost 4 people almost $11,000 US to get from Minneapolis to Saint Maarten. This seems absurd.

What are your thoughts on the price of airline tickets?

7 Likes

Delta is selling well. Go Delta. Delta #1. The only good airline.

This is my 500th post!!!

8 Likes

I perfectly agree with you. Last time I got to Lebanon, we were supposed to take the direct flight with MEA, but we finally took Turkish Airlines, because MEA, for two passengers, cost 3100€. It is very expensive.

1 Like

I also agree. When we flew with KAL, my mum was gonna book for us to go back a bit later than the 12th of August. She can’t and we had to go back on the 12th because the cheapest fare was that she used miles for her ticket, but mine would be $1,000

1 Like

Delta prices out of MSP are absurd—which is unfortunate because it’s such a good airline, a great airport, and my hometown city

4 Likes

I agree. Delta isn’t marketing itself as a LCC though. Sun Country (also based at MSP) is much better price wise, but is an LCC and feels that way.

1 Like

It doesn’t make sense especially for short-to-medium haul flights operated by European and North American carriers, where the level of inflight service is substantially lower than on most Asian airlines for an equivalent flight duration (CX, SQ, JL, KE, CZ, EK, QR, etc.)

This is not to mention that some full-service US carriers don’t offer free seat selection or even checked baggage in economy.

3 Likes

High prices always emerge on a flight from a focus city or from or to a hub in your case.

Still, LCCs and ULCCs eventually need you to pay fees where its not even LC anymore. I read an apple news article yesterday, where an elderly couple had to pay 110 pound for printing boarding passes.

3 Likes

Exactly. The hidden fees are still there on the legacy carriers in the US.

2 Likes

Agreed, but even United and American are significantly cheaper. For example I have to fly from MSP to Boston, Boston to DC, and DC back and I booked my ticket on JetBlue and American because Delta decided they wanted to charge $800 for that ticket versus ~$350 for what I paid (both options in main cabin)

2 Likes

I’d be flying more if they were lower

The only budget airlines that fly to my area are Avelo and Allegiant, which limit where I’d want to go substantially (especially when Allegiant’s seasonal routes that make up the majority or their offerings vanish for the year)

2 Likes

That’s true, but I feel like Delta price gauges MSP more than it’s other hubs

2 Likes

The other thing is that LCCs are often not as convenient. Take Allegiant, which is not designed for connections, and often flys low capacity, low demand routes at random times maybe once or twice a week.

1 Like

based on many reviews I also don’t want to fly long distances since they’re also just not as comfortable

1 Like

Yeah. Like, if I want to fly cross country, which could be over 5 hours, I want to be reasonably comfortable.

I can vouch for that. On a medium haul flight around 5-6 hours, lets say LAX-NYC, Delta offers just some beverages and snack boxes in Main Cabin. On a Korean Air (and all the other airlines you mentioned) flight the same length, they serve a beverage, and a meal along with Duty Free.

4 days ago when I flew on Korean Air’s 787 economy product, they had a meal an hour after take off, a beverage service 2 hours later and one 40 minutes before landing. That’s a load of service offers, even my grandparents who flew on their A380 in 2017 said “They gave us too much food maybe!”

3 Likes

It all comes down to who you’re flying with, especially on flights where you have multiple airlines to choose from. Say for example LAX-HND, selecting JL/NH instead of a US carrier will guarantee more comfortable seating and better service in probably all cabins, especially economy. The same can be said for EWR-DXB on Emirates instead of United.

1 Like

You know, the best solution if you don’t have enough money is, spawn in, make your flight plan, use interior cam and move to a desired window seat spot, and fly. It’s that easy.

1 Like

Certainly, JL/NH is wonderful with the inflight products, I flew them both on old and new cabins, worked fine. Only problem with JAL is the IFE, some of them are old and have fewer options.

1 Like

Growing up in Asia, I was actually surprised to find out the first time that there is no complimentary meal service even on flights over 2-3 hours on most Western airlines in general. Even where I am in Europe now, my family always insists on flying an Asian carrier whenever possible for the reasons I have mentioned previously…

3 Likes