The Full Airbus A320 Family Review

The Full Airbus A320 Family Review

G’day all, on my previous review I said I was working on something special and secret well here it is, this is the full Airbus A320 family review, this includes all variants. If you haven’t yet seen my full Cub Crafters XCub review and full Boeing 777 review make sure to check them out. This is after the Airbus A320 family rework. All sources of information and helpers will be found at the bottom of this post. Without farther ado I present you the full Airbus A320 family review.

Introduction

The Airbus A320 family consists of short- to medium-range, narrow-body, commercial passenger twin-engine jet airliners by Airbus. The family includes the A318, A319, A320 and A321, as well as the ACJ business jet. There has been a continuous improvement process since introduction. Final assembly of the family takes place in Toulouse, France, and Hamburg, Germany. A plant in Tianjin, China, has also been producing aircraft for Chinese airlines since 2009, while a final assembly facility in Mobile, Alabama, United States, delivered its first A321 in April 2016. As of December 2018, American Airlines was the largest operator of the Airbus A320 family aircraft, operating 397 aircraft. The aircraft family competes directly with the 737 and has competed with the 717, 757, and the MD-80/MD-90. In Infinite Flight the A320 is the third most used aircraft with the most popular being the 787 as seen in the chart below.

Please note that the data was collected over a span of 5 days, the 747’s first day is left blank because it wasn’t one of the top ten on that day but the days after it was.

Liveries

The Airbus A320 has over 40 liveries in IF and more being added in the future. If you want to see more liveries added in the future go vote for them in the #features category or make a feature request for the livery but make sure to sure for it prior to making the feature request.

Taxing

Taxing on the A320 is a breeze if you are familiar with it. I found the tail camera to be the most helpful and best way to taxi with the A320, it provides a full 180 degrees of view to avoid a collision. The only drawback is when lining up behind another aircraft or holding short of the runway as you cannot see because of the nose of the aircraft blocks out the view of the hold short line.

Takeoff

Takeoff in the A320 is a breeze if you know how to do it. So I find 80% power to be enough to get the jet off the ground. Usually I have flaps set to 1 and rotate (liftoff) at 140 to 150 knots depending on my weight.

Climb

Climbing out is just easy as any narrow body aircraft. I usually climb out without the auto throttle until I reach 230 knots airspeed and retract flaps from 1 to 0. I also climb out with a VS (vertical speed) between 2000 FPM (Feet per minute) To 3200 FPM.

Cruise

Cruising on the A320 is not the same as cruising on the A380. It cruises very smoothly but the A321 has an issue where the nose bobs up and down very violently and I found the only way to fix it is by not enabling the altitude on the autopilot but just setting the VS and putting it to 0 once you reach your desired cruise altitude. Other than that the aircraft is an amazing flyer.

Descent

So descent in the A320 is nothing else but what you would expect. I usually start descent 150NM (nautical miles) or more depending on my altitude out from my destination but I take into consideration of the airports altitude so my descent rate into LAX would be different to my descent rate into Addis Ababa.

Approach

So approach on the A320 is easy if you are skilled enough. I usually slow down to 230 Knots airspeed below 10,000 feet and deploy flaps 1 also I descend down to 4 or 3 thousand feet depending on how high the airport is above sea level then once I’m established on the glide slope I enable the APPR (auto land).

Landing

So landing in the A320 is basically the same as any other narrow body aircraft. I usually leave the APPR on the whole way down to touch down because even if I hold my device still and steady the plane proceeds to bank to the left, I also usually have a final approach speed of 150 knots airspeed and flaps full on the A321 and 140 to 130 knots airspeed on the rest of the A320 family. I found that sometimes with the APPR on the plane floats down the runway a little bit then lands. On the A321 with APPR mode on it bobs continuously all the way down. Other than that it’s a very smooth aircraft on landing.

Extra

The cockpit on the A320 is the first civil aviation aircraft to have a live cockpit. I hope you enjoyed this review. Please note that I may not fly realistically but I fly with what works for me and might not work for you. I have provided links to the sources used during this post. My next project is to complete the comparison is get that posted in the next couple of weeks.

Conclusion

So in conclusion the Airbus A320 is a great aircraft to fly one thing I noticed that you cannot do on the A320 is open any window or door if a passenger farts so you have to deal with the smell until it goes away which can feel like an eternity.

Links/Tutorials

How To Use The New A320 Cockpit Made By @Brandon_K - The New A3XX Cockpit: Explained
The Introductory Paragraph - Airbus A320 Wikipedia

Other Topics

Make sure to check out my other reviews and comparisons that I have made.

The Full Cubcrafters XCub Review
The Full Boeing 777 Review
In With The New Out With The Old, Volume 1

Please do not use images or information without my permission.

33 Likes

I appreciate these posts however, is it a review or a write up of how you fly it? You dont provide much information on it other than stuff you do when flying it, give us info on the number of camera angles, positives and negatives, its max climb rate Vs its realistic one, how close the IF variant is to the real world etc etc… otherwise it isnt a review, it’s just a tutorial on how to fly like @Qantas094

18 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, I shall improve on my next one.

2 Likes

Please dont take my post as a negative one, its points to improve on although these are great to read with the pretty photos a bonus!

8 Likes

Thanks mate, I use it as constructive criticism.

2 Likes

Nice information, and well-formatted! But I honestly don’t get the point of these topics.

2 Likes

Thanks mate, I make them to help out the community and to give my view on the aircraft.

1 Like

Wow this is cool. Great job again @Qantas094!! 👌👍😉

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

@Ur_Friendly_Approach thanks mate and @BravoCharlie you’re welcome mate.

1 Like

@Qantas094 can I save the 8th picture?

1 Like

PM me please so we don’t go off topic, I need to ask what do you need it for?

1 Like

When aiming to provide a comprehensive review, it would perhaps be better to use hard facts rather than generalizations.

In addition, maybe include more information about flap settings, trim, cruising altitudes, and speeds based on a certain configuration for a flight.

Lastly, the A321 can be different from the other A32X variants. It might be a good idea to make a separate section for that specific variant.

11 Likes

@Mags885 The IF A32X family* physics (as well as the A330, MD11/DC10, 787, 737, 772/77W and even the Dash 8) all fly “by the numbers” very well in the sim. It’s a credit to Laura’s physics modeling whereas we use the available RW charts and numbers for takeoff and approach V speeds. Basically the speeds work to where if you fly by the speeds you’ll have correct aircraft pitch for approach, rotation speed for takeoff and even N1% and fuel flow during cruise. It’s absolutely amazing.

If you’d like the charts/numbers, see the following two posts:

(*except the A321 since 19.2-some weights were moved around-hence the many A321 threads/posts you see)

3 Likes

Like I stated before I will add more information next time.

u did a good job @Qantas094 love the pics i can’t wait for u too make another one of these!

1 Like

Nice job @Qantas094
I think there should be a reviewing sub-category

1 Like

Thanks @wingmandude I think there should be a subcategory just for me lol and thanks @haitianpilot44

1 Like

Also some feedback I noticed that this review was very similar to the last one about the triple 7

1 Like

Thank you for the info on the A320 family. this is a great idea and is useful for a few tips.

Something fun:
737 pilot: they still think I’m one of them.

2 Likes