The First Few Times

Let me start by saying how much I really appreciate the depth of knowledge on here, the clear love for the simulation in the programming, and the warm welcome I’ve seen on the forum. I am playing this with my 13 year old son, and our goal is to fly real life routes as accurately as possible. We are planning to focus on British Airways, going from commuter jets to finally the trans-oceanic routes.

Having been through many training videos the question I now have is how best to practice landings which are still causing chaos. I’m thinking it’s best to fly short commuter routes in the new Bombardier jet and just “keep on trying” but I would appreciate any other ideas.

And of course to forum mods please kick this topic into a different category if I’ve placed it incorrectly.

Thanks all
DadaBull

3 Likes

The best thing to do would be pattern work in a ga aircraft and then start going onto jets with short routes.

Also solo mode so you can replay and see the mistakes and go back 20 seconds to start again. On solo you can also change the weather to make the landings harder or easier.

5 Likes

The best landings practice for me was on solo mode.

2 Likes

Hey!

My primary suggestion would be pattern work. Happens a lot in real life, moderate difficulty, but really fun!

3 Likes

Hello!
In solo mode, where you choose to select where to spawn, past the runway there is another spawn location. Click it, and it will say final approach. It will spawn you in at around the beginning of the ILS cone. That’s how I practice mine.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that landings that occur on solo mode do not count towards your overall grade.

2 Likes

If you just want to practice landings without worrying about your grade, solo mode is the way to go! If you want to increase your XP, landings, etc. Choose an airport with tons of runways and just do pattern work!

1 Like

First of all welcome to the community as well as Infinte Flight! I hope you enjoy your time flying here and interaction with your fellow Flight summers!

I would suggest various ways to practice your Landings.

1. On the settings page select ‘ LANDING AIDS’. This will bring up some red boxes on the approach to runways which if you fly down will put you in the right position to land. These can be used on any server or in solo mode.

2. Start off small and get bigger! As been mentioned start off in a small prop aircraft like the C172 or C208 and learn how to do pattern work. Ie lots of take off and landings on a runway. This really is the best way to learn how to fly and develop your skills. Once you have comfortable getting 10 or 20 on a smaller aircraft then consider moving on to a small jet like the ERJ family.

3. Research. Use the tutorial section on this forum for infinite flight specific topics, but also use the other resources such as You Tube and search for Pilots Eye TV. These vids are great to show how the real life pilots manage things.

4. Google and Download the FAA Pilots Manual. This is free and is full of all the information that you need. It is aimed at real life pilot, but is full of great info that will help make your experience all the more realistic.

5. Enjoy your self!

Happy landings and see you in the virtual skies!

1 Like

Thanks to everyone posting on here with really helpful answers. More research, much pattern grinding, and lots to discover awaits!

See you in here and in the skies.

For me, it was a matter of practice and learning how to keep the plane stable. A stable approach usually means a stable (not necessarily soft) landing. I would find a plane (start with the 772 as it is incredibly stable by default), and go into solo mode for approach onto a large runway at a major airport like EGLL (you can start on approach by hitting the runway number beyond the end of the runway). Practice lining the plane up for a smooth approach and then trying to set it down as lightly, but more importantly as stable as possible. Once you can approach and land with one hand only (just set the throttle on AP), you should be good. It will help with other phases of flying as well. I would suggest against doing short hops in the CRJ as it’s hard to handle compared to most of the BA planes. 777s, 787s, and the A380 are your best bet for practicing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.