The End of an Era: The Air India B747 leaves mumbai airspace for the last time

Just a few hours ago, the first of Air India’s last 4 Boeing 747’s departed mumbai airspace. I am extremely lucky to have been able to spot the queen one final time with my fellow Indian brothers and sisters in an emotional and thrilling atmosphere with cheers and claps for every inch the Maharani moves.
To share this experience with those that couldn’t be there, here are some pictures I took of her final flight out of India.

and this picture I wanted to share separately; It is by far the best picture I have ever taken, and even for those that aren’t unhealthily obsessed with aviation, it holds a deep meaning. The following is the picture of the brand new Air India A350 Departing in the same frame in which the retired Boeing 747 is taxiing to the runway:

While this exact aircraft is going to be converted into a freighter, two of her sisters are going to be scrapped as they reach the end of their lifespan. A necessary but sad end.
Also I don’t know if promotion or anything is forbidden but I have posted more pictures on my planespotting account (which only comes alive every 3 months or so but still) if y’all are interested in more pics.

That’s all for today folks <3
@Pritish_Dewan

44 Likes

Along with the first plane (VT-EVA) will be flying Mumbai - Paine Field Seattle ( Fuel Stop) - Mojave and for it’s final resting ground at Mojave.

VT-EVA was made for Air India with no previous owners, delivered in October of 1996 and flew until 2021. Good things come to end, with that said the “Maharaja in Sky” will continue live on in our memories.

6 Likes

We all ought to have a AI747 formation flight from Mumbai to Delhi, just to remember the queen.
It’s a heavy hearted moment knowing soon therell be no more VT registered 747

3 Likes

The earliest possible photo taken of the VT-EVA (1999 in EGLL)

9 Likes

I would be doing the last flight on the VT-EVA callsign with more people who would like to join me later this week, Mumbai-Paine-Mojave

6 Likes

Amazing photos! This is a sad day for Indian Aviation indeed.

2 Likes

Is anyone aware of when the next plane will be departing?

1 Like

No information on that just yet, but you can check this link for any updates on the following. Same guy tweeted about the departure of this aircraft.

1 Like

Nice pictures bro❤️✈️👏👏👑

1 Like

Nice shots! Shame that the last Indian Queens are leaving though.

2 Likes

The fact that you can see the brand-new A350, the 747 on its way to Mojave, and another AI 744 that is ready to be scrapped in one photo, definitely means something.

4 Likes

That’s an awesome photo. It’s a beautiful livery I wish they never changed it.

2 Likes

The past memories and The new future in same picture👏❤️🇮🇳

2 Likes

Just saw one of these in December when landing in Mumbai on Vistara

2 Likes

It’s bittersweet! But it is also nice that the 747s are now moving on… it was a little disheartening to see them quietly sitting at Mumbai airport gathering dust. And now we move on into a new era of Air India hopefully❤️

2 Likes

That last photo should be framed!🥹

2 Likes

Absolute beast!!
Will miss seeing it on the tarmac :/

2 Likes

Beautiful pictures…an emotional moment indeed…farewell to the queen!!!

2 Likes

For anyone that wants to recreate this iconic flight!:

1 Like

I saw an Air India 747 every time I traveled, as it was always parked on the remote stands (I think). And the one in front of the airport terminal T2 Is Registered VT-ESO.
I Would upload a photo but I don’t know where they are.
(Somewhere on my laptop).

1 Like