The End of an Era (Last Swiss Avro RJ100 Phase out)

Yesterday, on the 30th of June 2017, the Avro RJ100 with the registration HB-IYU flew it’s last operation between Zurich and Lyon.
The aircraft will be flown over Rotterdam to Cranfield to be returned to the Lessor Falco on July 3th.

This leaves only one last Avro RJ100 (jockingly nicknamed “Jumbolino” in Switzerland) in the fleet of Swiss: The HB-IYZ (named “Hohe Winde”). On the 20th August there will be a small sightseeing flight over Switzerland bookable through BuchAirTours.

I really liked those little Avro RJ100s as they were a part of Swiss for as long as I can remember.

A moment of silence as this great chapter of Swiss aviation comes to an end.

18 Likes

Wow. I live about 5 mins away from Cranfield. The one time I am not back something fun arrives 😐

4 Likes

They are being replaced by Bombardier CS100s and 300s, right?

1 Like

Yes indeed. However, since there was a delay with the Bombardier Aircraft many of their routes have been replaced by Wet Leased Helvetic Air ERJ195LR

2 Likes

Yes, they are! filler

That’s a shame to see them go, they are such interesting aircraft! I wish QantasLink flew them for longer. They’d probably still be in the Australian skies if Ansett Australia was still around. Pretty sure they are still operated by Toll.

1 Like

Too sad the swiss Jumbolinos are going to leave us 😢

2 Likes

Oh, that’s sad… I really liked that plane - now its one airline at a time phasing them out

1 Like

Although there are an interesting airframe, the engines were always loud. Looking forward to the day when more airlines phase out loud airplanes. Here’s to the CS100 and 300s!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.