The Dash-8 & it's unique Spoiler System! "Neat Video"!

MaxSez; Ever wonder why there is no "Flight"Spoiler Setting on the IF Dash-8. Here’s why;
On the glareshield of the Dash-8/400 there is a switch used for the aircraft’s four (4) spoilers. This switch has two settings…FLIGHT or TAXI. When this switch is set to the TAXI position, the spoilers will remain retracted regardless of speed or throttle setting. When this switch is set to the FLIGHT position, the spoilers will extend if the aircraft’s power levers are at idle or less than + 12 degress forward, with weight on the landing gear. This Flight setting for the spoilers is normally used for landing procedures so you receive an automatic spoiler deployment on touch down. In the IF model the “Armed Position is the Flight Setting” During touchdown, if the throttle settings are below 12 degrees or at idle, and enough weight sits on the landing gear, then the spoilers will automatically deploy. The fact that you will see an actual Dash-8 taxi into position on a runway with it’s spoilers extended particularly in winter it indicative of a crews anti ice check In most cases or it indicate that the FLIGHT/TAXI switch is set in the FLIGHT position and the spoilers are up because of the low power setting. This also seems to be a pre-takeoff check by some carrier so that the flight crew can test the system during the beginning of their takeoff roll. There you have it; Enjoy the Video: (Cut&Paste if necessary:
http://youtu.be/LC26yErE1DA)

7 Likes

Max, you forgot the h in http 😉👍🏼

1 Like

Thanks 101… fixed

2 Likes

Your welcome :) And very interesting! :)

1 Like

That’s why when I went to the spoilers to activate “flight” there was no option and I had to do a go around 😂

1 Like

@Captain_Dan… Lessons learned Dan. Been there done that. Found myself in the same position when I first flew the IF Dash-8. Had to go to the book and research the spoiler unique configuration. She a shady lady, a real Challenge. Lots of folk have given up on this aircraft unfortunately. It takes the right stuff to master her.

1 Like

Thanks for that Max. The more I read and see of the Dash-8 the more I’m liking that particular aircraft. See them regularly as they fly into Inverness but I never used to pay them all that much attention.

1 Like

This explains a lot

1 Like

MaxSez. A Cautionary Note; Even with the throttles set at 12% or Idle in flight the IF Bird’s spoilers will not partially deploy to assist in reducing speed, stability, to control yaw etc.