The beauty of Mother Nature (SCL-BOG)

Good day, IFC!

Todayโ€™s flight report will be about my 4th leg of the World Tour Series, which will take us from Santiago, Chile ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฑ to Bogota, Colombia! ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ด

World Tour route
    1. NRT ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ต - BKK ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ญ
    1. BKK ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ญ - MEL ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
    1. MEL ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ - SCL ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฑ
    1. SCL ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฑ - BOG ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ด
    1. BOG๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ด - JFK ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
    1. JFK ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ - YVR ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
    1. YVR ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ - LAX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
    1. LAX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ - CPH ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ
    1. CPH ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ - FCO ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น
    1. FCO ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น - LHR ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง
    1. LHR ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง - CPT ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
    1. CPT ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ - JNB ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
    1. JNB ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ - DXB ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ช
    1. DXB ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ช - MNL ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ญ
    1. MNL ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ญ - ICN ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ท
    1. ICN ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ท - NRT ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ต

This was one of my favourite flights so far with the World Tour series, as the scenery this route provides represents how expressive Mother Nature is. The South American continent is packed with amazing nature, from the great Andes Mountain range to the amazon rainforest.

Plus, with the sun setting as we land at Bogota, I was able to take beautiful shots of the Avianca B787-8!

Beef Empanadas recipe
  • Server: Expert
  • Route: SCL ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฑ - BOG ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ด
  • Aircraft: B787-8 Avianca
  • Flight time: 4 hours 55 min
  • Departure: 13:15pm (sim time)
  • Arrival: 18:15pm (sim time)
  • Flown on March 16

Enjoy!

Santiago

Alright, pulled up to Santiago international after a night in a nearby hotel! We did a very long 12 hour flight just yesterday from Melbourne to Santiago, but here we are, yet with another flight! We are parked at the gate, loading up the plane with fuel, passengers, and cargo while I start making the flight plan. The Andes mountains in the background makes this shot so much better! โ›ฐ๏ธ

Weโ€™re flying with Avianca, one of the largest airlines of Colombia. The 787-8 is the shorter version of the 787 family, which is used for long-haul flights for their insane flight range!

In no time, we push back from our gate, and taxi over to the runway! Wait, why is no one sitting in the captainโ€™s seat?? Must be a ghostโ€ฆ ๐Ÿ‘ป

Avianca 98 heavy, cleared for take-off! ๐Ÿš€
We blast off into the clear afternoon sky of Santiago. The mountains look sharp and harsh as always, with maximum 50km of visibility!

Cruise

Ascending from Santiago to our initial cruise altitude of 37,000 feet. I know the photo is hella over edited, but I wanted to emphasise the Andes mountains as much as I can. It is genuinely shocking how nature made this masterpiece.

These Rocky Mountains create winds that goes up and down in rapid motion, called updrafts and downdrafts. This makes the air very turbulent! ๐Ÿซจ The 787โ€™s wings were bouncing around like crazy with the turbulence!

At 37,000 feet, cruising at mach 0.84. On the right hand side of our aircraft, there is the rocky Andes. But on the left, we have the endless South Pacific that stretches to the horizon. Look how intense the elevation changes near the shore! Itโ€™s like a cliff!

A few hours have passed, and the sun is starting to fall to the western sky. We look down, and the ground is just as blue as the skyโ€ฆ When I first saw it, I thought I was over the ocean! But, in reality, it was the deep Amazon rainforest. ๐ŸŒด The dark colour that is spread on the ground is not blue, but actually green. It shows how densely packed the vegetation is in the deepest parts of the rainforest!
Also, look how twisty that river is!

Bogota

Oh, how quick this 5 hour flight had passedโ€ฆ We are already approaching to Bogota!
This is my 2nd time flying into bogota, and I realised how the entire city is literally surrounded by mountains from all angles. โ›ฐ๏ธ
In order for me to approach the airport, I had to go across a set of tall mountains before I reached the flat plains. I normally pass over mountains in cruise, so it was interesting to see them so up close while descending.

I did a U turn for my approach so that I could lineup with the runway that served the wind well. That resulted in me going over the airport. It was a cool experience!

Zoooom! I took this shot from the perspective of a local plane-spotter. I think I was able to get the shot pretty well with the sunโ€™s excellent lighting!

Bogota Airport has a crazy elevation of 8000+ feet above sea level, so the air pressure was pretty low compared to lower elevated airports. That meant I had to go faster in order to keep the plane flying, so I landed around 20 knots faster than what was normal! It was pretty difficult, so not my best landing lol.

This was another spectacular flight! This route took us along the beauty Mother Nature provides us by flying over the rocky Andes, the shores of Chile, and the vast Amazon. Thanks for flying with me on this journey!

Which photo was the most scrumptious?
  • 1.Parked at Santiago
  • 2.Lining up with the runway
  • 3.Blasting off!
  • 4.The Andes mountains
  • 5.The Chilean shore
  • 6.The deep Amazon
  • 7.Approaching into Bogota
  • 8.Over the airport
  • 9.Plane-spotter perspective
  • 10.Landed at Bogota
0 voters

Thank you for reading thus far! As a tradition, take this Empanadas: ๐ŸฅŸ (no itโ€™s not a dumpling) Its a traditional Chilean dish enjoyed by many!

Next flight of the World Tour series is going to be from Bogota to JFK, New York with the Delta 767. Coming soon!

9 Likes

Great photos!

1 Like

I really think SCEL is such an underrated airport. I flew out of there for the first time the other day to Buenos Aires and the climb out was BEAUTIFUL!

1 Like

I honestly like all of them, nice photos ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

1 Like

Thanks @BennyBoy_Alpha, @Harrison_S and @Hamza787Aj! @Harrison_S, I completely agree with you! SCEL is rarely flown in our out by anyone, and itโ€™s such a shame considering all the beauty there is around the airport ๐Ÿ˜”

1 Like

I love this one

1 Like

I donโ€™t see a recipe ๐Ÿ˜ก

1 Like

I tried to make em, they didnโ€™t turn out so well.

1 Like

Ask @CedricFlys for the recipe, heโ€™s experienced

1 Like