The answer

@Pinecone made a post wondering why 27R was closed at KATL. I am here right now and have the answer! There’s an Antonov on it!

22 Likes

Umm, what…? Is it stuck there or is it taking off or… huh?

3 Likes

I think it’s being stored there?

2 Likes

Good luck moving that beast if it’s stuck

2 Likes

Lol this is just an awesome aviation moment right here 😂

4 Likes

I guess it fell in love with the runway and don’t want to leave. How cute😍

9 Likes

Pretty neat. Earlier in the summer, a AN124 was at BWI for about 3 weeks, and during its stay, it was stored on the former runway 4, as it was too large for the northeast cargo ramp.

1 Like

Maby it’s just me, but I have more questions about this than a simple runway closure… 😂

4 Likes

This is much more likely to be the answer:

I doubt that Antonov will be there until November. It can probably hang out there because the runway is closed, not the other way around.

Random guesses are cool, but NOTAMs are generally not that hard to find.

15 Likes

It was Flex Taped there! But it hasn’t been sawed in half yet

1 Like

LOL that’s very funny

2 Likes

Well it took off from ATL a few weeks ago and I believe it returned due to an issue. It’s been sitting in the runway for a while, and I believe they are going to ship parts out soon! Definitely cool to see my first Anto though, and makes a nice background for the photos I took

3 Likes

Correction: It arrived five days ago, I found its registration

1 Like

They are completely replacing 09L/27R.

Where did you hear that

Check out hartsfield_matt on Instagram.

1 Like

Can you send me the link to the account, I don’t have Instagram

Also, I don’t think they are removing a runway. They may be removing it from service (which they are until November) but there is no way they would ever remove it entirely

Here https://instagram.com/hartsfield_matt?igshid=ezlvjsu3k9wo and they are completely tearing it up and reparing it.

They aren’t