The age old question...

It’s been asked time and time again.
But this time, I’d like to ask the same question - from a different angle.

As far as I am aware, and in layman’s terms, Airbuses stop pilots from doing things that the aircraft considers to be wrong and can override a pilot’s decision (i.e. low airspeed, over-banking etc.). Whereas Boeings would advise a pilot of such a situation, but would require a pilot’s action and their decision.

But computers can, and do, go wrong.
A pilot may be stopped from doing what is best for the aircraft, or it may prevent them from getting something wrong.

So I have two questions.

As a PASSENGER, which manufacturer’s aircraft would you feel safer on, with this knowledge?

• Airbus
  • Boeing

0 voters

And, as a PILOT, which manufacturer’s aircraft would you rather fly, with this knowledge?

• Airbus
  • Boeing

0 voters

Airbus or Boeing (poll)
Do you prefer Airbus or Boeing? (As a passenger)
Airbus or Boeing (poll)

Does the pilot have the ability to turn off that function on Airbus?

@Swang007 As far as I am aware, there is limited overriding. I think there was some debate over this about the Hudson crash, I’ll see if I can find it for you.

I’m an all Boeing guy. I love the way the planes fly as a passenger, and as a pilot in IF. They handle great and the way they fly is very smooth. USA!

What about McDonnell Douglas/Douglas. My loyalty rests with them.

With this poll I am only considering the benefits and pitfalls of Boeing and Airbus technology in the cockpit.
I have very limited knowledge about McDonnell Douglas.

Sorry!

If it’s not Boeing I’m not going…

Oops I feel like Captain Obvious here.

I feel like, because of the time that I posted this poll, a lot of Europeans (and likely Airbus fans) might not get a say in this! 😂

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Why not Airbus you might ask. If the instruments are screwed you are screwed too!

It’s fine. To answer your question though, I have no preference. The computer of the A320 makes me feel comfortable, but the failure of the computer is something that will happen someday unfortunately (Nothing is oerfect).

That said, even though a Boeing notifies you about the issue, the pilot could make poor judgement in the heat of the moment and doom everyone.

They cancel each other out

Everybody knows. Let’s don’t get the talk about the reg started.

PS Air France is a nice Airline.

Air France is actually considered one of the best airlines in the world

@Rotate @HV9690

In Airbus’ defence… It’s not only them who are affected by computers.

I would prefer Boeing because if you have a auto pilot engaged and are not aware of it the actual yolk of the plane will move. Where as Airbus even if an auto pilot is engaged unknowingly the side stick will not move. Less situational awareness more upsets.

I think @Aernout would be the best source for answers to this question.

Airbus can literally fly itself so i would feel safer on airbus