The A359 Cockpit: Explained

Welcome to the Airbus A350-900 cockpit tutorial! The long awaited A359 is now here with one of the most detailed cockpits in the simulator. You will notice some instruments aren’t quite operating yet so we will only go over the current operating ones in this tutorial. If the cockpit gets updated with new instruments in a future update, this tutorial will also be updated to reflect the changes. Now onto the tutorial!

Overview

Letter Instrument Explained
A Onboard Information System (OIS) Displays essential information such as airport charts and performance details. This is currently not modeled in Infinite Flight.
B Primary Flight and Navigation Display* Contains the primary instruments to successfully operate the aircraft and navigation map.
C Engine/System Display* Displays engine and system status.
D Integrated Standby Instrument System (ISIS)* Provides a backup navigation system if other systems fail.
E Multi-Function Display (MFD)* Displays filed flight plan with waypoint details.
F Throttle Control Levers Gives power to engines.
G Radio Management Panel (RMP)* Displays your current tuned ATC frequency.
H Flaps Control Lever Displays current flap position and changes flap angle.
I Electronic Flight Instrument System (EFIS) This panel allows you to select different displays on the PFD and MFD.
J Auto Flight System Control Panel (AFS)* Control panel for autopilot systems.

How are they used?

Primary Flight and Navigation Display

Engine/System Display

Integrated Standby Instrument System (ISIS)

Multi-Function Display (MFD)

Radio Management Panel (RMP)

Auto Flight System Control Panel (AFS)

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I tune into an ILS approach?

This process was slightly changed in version 19.4. You now don’t have to be in the HUD view to select the ILS approach. Follow the steps below to tune into an ILS approach:

1. Spawn in
  2. Navigate to the map and find the airport you are arriving to
  3. Select the airport and go to “RUNWAYS” tab
  4. Select the runway you will land on and press either “SET NAV1” or “SET NAV2”
  5. Navigate to the NAV menu and change the SOURCE to which ever NAV you set the ILS runway on.
  6. You are now successfully tuned into the ILS. The CRS NAV 1 is auto filled in with the runway heading and you will find that the glideslope and localizer is setup in the HUD and the cockpit

Why are the aircraft lights not turning on?

Are you trying to turn on the aircraft lights and they aren’t coming on? Most likely, the issue here is that you don’t have the Master Battery on. To turn on the Master Battery, follow the steps below:

1. Spawn in A350-900
  2. Navigate to SYSTEMS > ELECTRICAL
  3. Click, “MASTER BATT” so it is turned on (outlined in orange)
  4. Now there is power to your aircraft and you can turn on the lights

Why is my aircraft not following my flight plan when I click NAV?

This is most likely occurring because your autopilot source is not set to GPS. Follow the steps below to set your autopilot source to GPS:

1. Spawn In
  2. Navigate to NAV menu which is under SYSTEMS
  3. Press and Hold on SOURCE and change it to GPS

Your aircraft should now follow your flight plan.

What is the line shown ahead of my aircraft on the map?

This is a brand new feature introduced in v19.4 called the Altitude Arc. Take a look at the tutorial below for more information on how it’s used and what it means.

Range to Altitude Arc

How do I use the NAV Menu Panel?

This is also a brand new feature introduced in v19.4. Take a look at the tutorial below for more information on how it’s used and what each setting means.

Avionics Control Panel Explained

Why are there screens with no instruments on them?

Currently, there are some screens that are not modeled yet in the A359. Even though they are not modeled now, this does not mean they won’t be in the future. Take a look below at a comment made by Cameron about the screens that are not modeled yet.

A350 - 'ois not avail'

Like always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask below. You can take a look at more cockpit tutorials here: A-10, XCub, A3XX, C172, TBM-930

95 Likes

The label squares make the image look like a transformer. i can never un see it now!

4 Likes

These are going to be so useful
image image

7 Likes

Yup that it will!

3 Likes

Amazing tutorial!

3 Likes

How do I integrate the altitude for the waypoints?

2 Likes

Super helpful! Wow this is really realistic

1 Like

We currently do not have a way to implement altitudes for waypoints. We don’t quite have the full integration for VNAV but this could be something to look forward to the future.

3 Likes

i turn orn the GPS on the air. after that noting happen. should i turn it on when i’m at the ground?

1 Like

Have you created a FPL?

GPS is in the Navigation Tab (NAV). Once you have it in GPS, you need to go to your Autopilot tab (AP OFF) and click on APPR/NAV. If you have a FPL created, only then will the Autopilot follow your course.

2 Likes

@Just_Someone
you can integrate altitudes with waypoints using the 3rd party app Infinite Flight Assistant

1 Like

Will the OIS ever be modeled into If

2 Likes

Check out this comment below made by Cameron. Should answer your question. :)

1 Like

How can you read the little TOD and TOC thingy below the Primary navigation display?

2 Likes

Thank you for the explanation of the cockpit.
I have a question regarding navigation with VOR and the Primary Flight and Navigation Display (B):
As i understand, only the NAV1 can be seen in the displace and switching to NAV2 or GPS will NOT effect the needle actually. Is this correct? Will this be changed in the future or is it supposed to be like that, and that the navigation switch only effects the autopilot?

If find it odd, since if switching would be possible, a navigation alone with the display and without the HUD would be possible. Like it is implemented now, i have to use the HUD to effectivley switch between two VORs.

Overall it would be nice to have also a tutorial on how to use the A350 cockpit together with the new VOR/DME feature.

Thank you so far and thumbs up for this exciting new update!

There is one deer crush has done one search DME ARC

why the EFIS of the A350 was turned off in the new update?

1 Like