The 777X: Trent 1000s or Not??

Sigh,

What is the largest passenger airplane in the world? It’s not the A380 it’s the 747-8i which is 76m in length and once again uses GE engines.

Have a good night😏

1 Like

its actually the A380. The plane that has two full floors that run the full length of the whole aircraft.

No but length wise 747-8 can carry more than a380 and the 747-8 is 85 metres long a380 75 metres

@ Heavydriver

Engine Flaw DID NOT cause the hull loss into short final into Heathrow, it was down to ice build up in fuel system that then clogged the filter to the Fuel Oil Heat Exchanger;

Recap from the AAIB final report and link to the full report: Aircraft Accident Report AAR 1/2010 - Boeing 777-236ER, G-YMMM, 17 January 2008 - GOV.UK

The investigation identified that the reduction in thrust was due to restricted fuel flow to both engines.

The investigation identified the following probable causal factors that led to the fuel flow restrictions:
1.Accreted ice from within the fuel system released, causing a restriction to the engine fuel flow at the face of the FOHE, on both of the engines.
2.Ice had formed within the fuel system, from water that occurred naturally in the fuel, whilst the aircraft operated with low fuel flows over a long period and the localised fuel temperatures were in an area described as the ‘sticky range’.
3.The FOHE, although compliant with the applicable certification requirements, was shown to be susceptible to restriction when presented with soft ice in a high concentration, with a fuel temperature that is below −10 °C and a fuel flow above flight idle.
4.Certification requirements, with which the aircraft and engine fuel systems had to comply, did not take account of this phenomenon as the risk was unrecognised at that time.
+

Seems odd that ice crystals forming in fuel hadn’t been considered an issue before, certainly in the maritime sector which I work, whilst the fuel itself is heated so it can be used, it certainly is a factor that is taken into account when operating in cold weather.

Yeah the fuel system no the engine it self… The engine was fine… It was the fuel system that had the problem

Actually David,

It was a flaw of only the Rolls engine! Rolls trying to be different made a fuel heater that used different sized probes at the exit point which caused unequal heating. The unequal heating allowed ice to form (bridge) over the fuel heat exchanger and effectively reduce engine power to nothing when power was applied. It was only a problem with the Rolls engine as it was a a Rolls design!

We go over that accident 2 times a year in 777 ground school!

Best,

HD

1 Like

It was an engine component made by RR, call it what you want but they were responsible.

Best,

HD

1 Like

the component had never failed it was working perfect since… The ice had jus happened to build up… Any way it’s not like GE haven’t had an engine failure

I really enjoyed reading the comments on this thread! Good work guys.

That’s affirmative… 777-200ER mostly

1 Like

They were able to duplicate the problem before making the Fuel heat exchanger symmetrical. The problem had to due with going from cruise power settings at freezing temperatures down into the approach environment where more power is needed. Depending on the time of year I’ve seen it as cold as -67C for out outside air temperature leaving our fuel temperature in the tank at -27C. As you descend the air gets warmer… What was happening was that as the ice bridged it allowed enough fuel flow for cruise power settings but as the airplane is configured for landing it requires a lot more power. The ice “damming” wasn’t allowing enough fuel to flow in order to meet the power demands it was given.

Technically the crew had a little power available when they landed but not enough to change the outcome. Regardless the crew did an excellent job!

3 Likes

Yeah I agree :)

I stand corrected! Way I read it that was that the fuel heater was not integral to the engine it self but an element before the fuel pumps so that the fuel would be at correct operating temp prior to going to the engine itself.

Royce have had some issues ‘recently’ with manufacturing issues, caused this 380 Quantas to suffer an engine blow sending the planes warning systems into a complete mess.

@Harry Oh come on that was 4 YEARS AGO and you only bring IT UP NOW!!!

I thought they were… Maybe because this new engine has to force about 20,000lbs more weight than a 787-9.

1 Like

The Airbus A380 lost hydraulic pressure in systems Yellow and Blue and the FMC went crazy.