The 777-200ER’s Nose Drop

I have this issue on every flight with the 777F. The only thing I have found to limit how “violent” the attitude change is to set VS first and allow the nose to drop while simultaneously lowering the VS, then once is stabilizes, increase the VS do the desired climb rate

1 Like

It maybe the autopilots altitude is on 0 and maybe you switched it to 2000 quickly idk

2 Likes

This is a known issue for the staff. lets hope that they have it in the works to work on this

1 Like

I was initially going to question why everyone was talking about trim when it’s just an inherent flaw with the autopilot, but I just did a test takeoff on solo to check if I had been doing it wrong the whole time and found that I had.

Basically, for some reason, when you set vertical speed, the elevators move to a neutral position before recovering. This means the nose drops because you are applying back pressure to keep it in the a climb, regardless of weight, power setting, altitude setting, or flaps. ignoring the fact that I think the plane should be able to recognize that maintaining the same vertical speed requires no change in elevator input, you have to fly accordingly. In the climb out, adjust your trim (and elevator input accordingly) to get rid of the purple bar. This way, you already have neutral elevators by the time you switch to autopilot and the sudden reset to neutral only makes minimal changes to your flight profile. It is a little work-intensive and takes some time, but it’s the only way to mitigate the problem.

3 Likes

For B777s I use 25-35+ depending on the weight (the heavier the more positive climb).

Similar trim settings for the A359 with one difference: rapidly after take-off, trim needs to be reduced to maintain clean aerodynamics.
(This difference applies between most Airbus vs most Boeings).

2 Likes

That’s exactly what happened

Ok got you. Thanks man!

1 Like

Got it thanks man

1 Like

I’m currently flying the 777-200F and I’m currently at cruise using 40% trim. I think you used to little trim. 7% is good for smaller planes but for a big 777 is not efficient. A few people have already said this already but since I’m currently in flight I’ll just say what I’m using.

2 Likes

Ok got it I’ll try that out

1 Like