Terrible Winds in SoCal

Whatever you do, do not fly in SoCal tonight. I was doing pattern work at KSMO when I spun out on touchdown. Wheels went into the ground and had to figure out what to say to ATC. Tried first in a Cessna 172, then a Citation. Both failed miserably.

3 Likes

is it bad if i like it? we never have these in so cal or they are rare

1 Like

25kts max gusts heading 340. Got a violation on the first touch for missing the runway :P

1 Like

I spun out also at San Clemente

Sounds fun, might swing by in a bit.

1 Like

What speeds were you at on final?

About 120 knots. Don’t usually fly the citation, but I was more focused on getting the thing on the ground. I had to so much crabbing I think it changed my readings

1 Like

I was just on, I had to go around, but the second time I made a hard landing. My poor little A318, pushed to the max :(

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Flew out of KONT this past monday, wasn’t terrible, some turbulence but not crazy. I will say flying in Friday was a bit rough coming from Phoenix.

I like terrible winds, sometimes, really tests your pilot skills to the test.

Recommendations: Try to go slower than the landing speed, because there are high winds, your airspeed increase faster. And also use the rudder, that helps the most to be aline with the runway.

And if you can, try to flare. But just get that dam thing on the ground :D

Happens to me, too! Big thumbs-up to the pros who manage to land their (real) planes safe.

1 Like

Not that much (for a jetliner).

It is a lot during final. Check this table by Airbus:

Above 33/35kts you are not allowed to land so 25kts is quite a lot.