Terrain Awareness and Warning System needed

Was en route from YSRI to YSCB in a dark and windy night. After finished 90% of the route and turned to 347 degrees to prepare for landing on RWY35. And when I was about to intercept the ILS, the screen suddenly went totally dark and there’s a big “CRASH” right on my face… ;-((

So, may we have some sort of terrain awareness and warning system to prevent such unfortunate controlled flight into terrain accidents?

17 Likes

I feel ground proximity warning system (GPWS) would be a good safetly addition.

22 Likes

Check your AGL at all times.
Use foreflight.

6 Likes

@dush19 You’re right. 1st time visiting that area and just way too busy in establishing landing configuration before the interception… 😊

2 Likes

I did exactly that haha. Such a waste of a flight pretending it was actually Australia so would be dark and bam there’s the ground.

1 Like

I read this on the IFAO page. I feel bad for you after that flight.

1 Like

Thanks, @The_simulation_nerd!!

Well, I first was a bit frustrated, just like how @Makeaflightforfun feels, wasting time and efforts in such a flight, with 24-30kts side or tail wind most of the time and starless darkness along the way ;-(( But a few minutes later, I felt fine cuz it’s a simulator and there’s definitely something important I should be able to learn from it, as @dush19 points out. So… 😊

2 Likes

The AGL won’t always work for example I tried to do and ILS approach at PHNL and went straight into a mountain without the AGL going up.

You don’t need a system to detect terrain it’s all in the flight planning my friends.

1 Like

this would be a great addition to IF

1 Like

Where in the planing is it?

You have to do your reaserch and look up the approach plates and use the waypoints provided within them. :)

2 Likes

Haha, some of us don’t have enough sim neediness to sort approach plates etc, I just enjoy the take off and landing

1 Like

Guys, I just found out what I had done wrong a few minutes before the big BANG: I levelled off my C750 at 3000ft MSL for landing configuration without checking the altitude of YSCB for the last time… The attitude of YSCB was 1887ft. That’s how I got crashed ;-((

Saying that, @Liam_Williams, it’s still good to add the system to IF, though.

Thank you all for the feedbacks. I really appreciate it!!

Now, can someone close this topic, plz ;-))

1 Like

We already have the GPWS in IF, what you meant is the EGPWS.

1 Like

You get an alert if you’re close to flying into the ground? I think I’m confused about the difference

2 Likes

@Laurens, what are you talking about? We don’t have GPWS in Infinite Flight.

GPWS uses an array of sensors to determine whether safety limits are being breached and alerts the pilot. These conditions include: being too close to the ground, diving too fast, banking too steeply, and the like. EGPWS has all the capabilities of GPWS and augments it by using a Global Positioning System, or GPS, to provide very accurate information on the exact location of the aircraft. This is then coupled with an extensive terrain database; basically, a map that details how the ground changes in the area.

GPWS had one very serious flaw; it can only monitor the ground directly beneath it. This can be a problem if there is a very sudden change in the terrain and the GPWS cannot provide a prompt enough warning for the pilot to react to. With EGPWS, the system can track the course of the aircraft and see if it is heading towards a mountain or other similar threat. But it is worth noting that EGPWS is only as good as the terrain database that it has. It needs to be up-to-date and contain accurate information. For example: If a very tall building or tower has been recently built or is under construction and the terrain database does not have that information input, the EGPWS may not be able to detect that it is in a collision course with the structure.

In Infinite Flight, I have never heard any alarm when I am too close to the ground, diving too fast, banking too steeply, and the like.

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

One of the things I’ve harped on for years is the need for “Spot Elevations” & “Major Hazards to Flight” on the IF Chart. Flight Information Product (FLIP’s) which contain Plates, Sectionals and WAC’s work best. Unfortunately the the average IF Pilot is at the bottom of the aeronautical learning curve. The KISS principle applies that why you need to ask ATC for an ILS go for example and you’ll continue to run into mountains until the IF Chart adds detail. Overlaying could fix that defiency. The TUTORIALS ansewer the Tech questions an FDS upgraded IF Chart solves most of the terrain problems. Max Sends

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes