Terminology of IFR Plates

looking at a SID chart: “Maintain 8000. Expect higher altitude 3 min after departure”

departure means after take off, and not after crossing transition right? bc the transition is pretty far away from the airport

…This is BROAK1 departure out of KPHX rwy 26 with MAXXO transition

I think it means 3 mins after your departure you can expect a higher altitude no matter where on the SID you are. You are to maintain 8000ft and are to expect a higher altitude from the 8000ft 3 mins after your departure from ATC.

2 Likes

Basically means if you loose radio comms after 3 min climb to your cruise altitude. Least how that’s how I understood it

While the expected can be applied to a lost comms situation, it’s mostly a piece of information to help with planning. Basically, as soon as you tune into departure, they’re going to give you a higher altitude to climb to but until they do so, you’re stuck at 8,000.

2 Likes

Thanks for insight. Always learning!

and what about the numbers above the fixes that indicate altitude but dont have a bar surround them? B/c ik if they have a bar thats an altitude restrict. But without any bar, are they just recommended altitudes? bc expected altitudes actually have the phrase “expect FL___”

Can you give a pic?

If you’re using Jepp plates, then yes, those are just recommended altitudes.

i highlighted what im talking about

The top line is going to be the minimum enroute altitude, which will guarantee navigational signal and obstruction clearance. The next line with the * is the minimum obstruction clearance altitude, which will guarantee a plane doesn’t clonk anything.

Because these are significantly higher than 8000, aircraft are to expect higher before they reach these areas.

3 Likes