Temporary Disconnect for ATC only (if feature is trolled it would be terminated)

Pretend you’re air traffic controlling, having a good time creating patterns, when the UPS guy comes to your door. With IF, you’d need to give up your ATC slot to someone. With this new feature request, you’d be able to answer the door without having to give up your ATC slot and that beautiful approach pattern. I call it “Temporary Disconnect”. What happens is that it will terminate your ATC without taking you off the ATC list, and after you’re done signing that package, you can resume your play.

If I didn’t include in this paragraph, the first post would be, “Trolls would abuse it and lock frequencies with their name for weeks.” However, a timer for ten minutes would be coded into Temporary Disconnect. After ten minutes, if you didn’t unlock Temporary Disconnect, you’d be disconnected from ATC and disallowed for sixty minutes.

Thoughts about this are appreciated. If anyone doesn’t understand a certain concept, also ask about it.

12 Likes

Then you should have the ability to set an “afk” message, otherwise pilots would think you are ignoring them. Or you should only be able to temp dc after setting an afk message and maybe limited in number of times as well.

In 2 mind about this. It would have to be really short (2 mins) and how would continuity between Unicom and tower work? It would be a mess.

What do the ATC mods think about this?

3 Likes

I’m going to invite a couple ATC mods to this post.

I think this is a great idea

This would only be a great Feature for the Air Traffic Controllers but not for the Pilots (worse ATC Services)

Yeah, it was only meant for the ATC. Read the title, it reads, “for ATC only”.

Yes but if you are disconnected the Pilots won’t get ATC Services so this would affect them too (since they are on the same servers)

I’m not a mod but I do have some thoughts.

So basically this is the same thing as you logging out and back in. Planes go to unicom and when you come back you have to deal with people getting back to your frequency as well as pilots landing on the wrong end of the runway. The only difference from what you are asking is that nobody else can take your spot. Correct me if I am wrong in reading your post.

Personally I think this is more of a PG issue where when you log off someone else snags the frequency. On advanced we have coordination of the frequencies and if I got disconnected or something we can swap. App/server drops happen from time to time and I grabbed a frequency that someone just got dropped from. No biggie.

I would be worried that a frequency would be locked for a small amount of time due to an app crash or network issue. 10 minutes is a long time at a popular airport to be locked out of. Especially if there was an event.

I can’t say much but This is a great idea!I think it’s more helpful to guys like me