TCAS in live?

Title says it all.

Best, Boeing707

17 Likes

Explain TCAS :confused:

7 Likes

Traffic collision avoidance system.

Basically two planes that are on a collision course realize that they’re going to crash so the planes communicate. One plane tells the captain to pull up x ft. and the other plane tells the captain to push down X ft. Look up the DHL 757 and Tu-154 collision over europe with the students in it.

Best, Boeing707

16 Likes

With this I don’t understand why mid-air collisions still happen

4 Likes

Best, Boeing707

5 Likes

That first one doesn’t make me want to become an ATC anymore ;(

6 Likes

For the Embraer jet, the placement of the footrests was right where the transponder is so TCAS wasn’t operational.

See thr Air Crash Investigations documentary.

Aviation safety net is another great resource.

Best, Boeing707

3 Likes

Lol you won’t screw up like that guy.

ATC doesn’t cause many crashes to my memory.

Best, Boeing707

1 Like

good to know…hehe

Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS ) is operational on all IF aircraft don’t ya know Boeing. Here’s a Question of the week I posed on IF’s Facebook a few months back:
QUESTION OF THE WEEK. Your Plane Symbol turns from WHITE to RED on your RADAR PLOT in cockpit or map mode. What modern marvel does this color change replicate? Asewer: The IF Developers are Wizards, they built the Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS ) into the program.

4 Likes

But it doesn’t tell you to move up or down. No auditory stuff either.

That just shows dangerous separation, it has nothing to do with collision avoidance. There is no visual or audible cue to alert the pilot.

1 Like

Did not know that… They think stuff through well.

That said, I don’t fly live. Suggestion was for the current players/when I join in.

@Swang007 did state an improvement that could he made to it.

Best, Boeing707

1 Like

No audable! Ok purists. A Red airplane is certainly a visual Q. What do ya want for $100+ … it does “replicate” a significant portion of TCAS, Its like the ATC system without all nodes operational. Close but no cigar. I still admire the forethought the Dev’s put into this feature. I take a more positive view as it relates to the magic performed by the Development Team. Bravo Zulu as they say in Naval Aviation. The Dev’s “do good work”. Max Sends

2 Likes

Just a feature suggestion. You’re making it sound as if you could press the gear button and pretend that the gear will come out. Simply doesn’t work.

Agreed it would be very hard to integrate. Involves aircraft knowing each others’ positions, which requires devices to communicate with each other, a GPS system integrated into the game(?) which would destroy battery power and eat up cellular plans.

Shame.

Best, Boeing707

The server already knows your position. When you call an inbound over radio you say that you are X nm east of X airport or something like that. I think it shouldn’t be too hard given what we have so far.

1 Like

Ok.

Best, Boeing707

Why do people ask for curretly added features. Even though not with a voice guide, TCAS is currently in game.
Can you see the yellow and red colored planes?
Yellow: Danger of collision
Red: Critical
By the way, TCAS does not only warn the pilots when their in a collision course. It warns them if they are too near.

4 Likes

I think he means the audio warnings like high pitched sound TCAS Alert!

4 Likes